Batter interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
True enough! I thought you were saying it would be no interference but dead ball.
It might be a dead ball, if the ball bounces off the batter's helmet and goes into the dugout or over the fence. I actually had a play a few years ago where the catcher's pickoff throw hit the batter's bat (she did nothing to interfere), and the ball went over a shortened fence in front of the third base dugout. At the time, there were runners at second and third, so the catcher's bad throw cost her team two runs.

Jul 12, 2019
Also, what if the catcher winds up to throw, put doesn't throw because the batter may have interfered with the throw?

This happened to my daughter's team this weekend. The catcher didn't throw as the batter stepped out of the box and blocked her.

Should the catch have thrown the ball hard into the batter or lobbed the ball at the batter to show "intent" to throw to 3b to get/encourage the umpire to make a call? I can't imagine that anyone would suggest to throw a ball hard at a girls sternum from 5-10 feet away.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
This happened to my daughter's team this weekend. The catcher didn't throw as the batter stepped out of the box and blocked her.

Should the catch have thrown the ball hard into the batter or lobbed the ball at the batter to show "intent" to throw to 3b to get/encourage the umpire to make a call? I can't imagine that anyone would suggest to throw a ball hard at a girls sternum from 5-10 feet away.

An actual throw is not required in this instance. If the catcher appears as if she wants to throw it but doesn’t because the batter got in her way, that’s interference on the batter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
In USSSA, the batter’s box is not a safe haven and intent is not judged. Stepping out of the batter’s box is one way of interfering.

USSSA
7-12: A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.
This converstaion came up today in our game, I was working with a guy who's been umpiring for over 20 years (I'm in my 2nd year). He says, if a runner on 2nd steals third on a pitch, the batter (right handed) must try to get out of way. I said that the batter can stand there like a statue in the box, she doesn't have to duck or move to let the catcher throw to third, as long as she doesn't move to interfere, shes good. Who is right?

Oct 11, 2018
This converstaion came up today in our game, I was working with a guy who's been umpiring for over 20 years (I'm in my 2nd year). He says, if a runner on 2nd steals third on a pitch, the batter (right handed) must try to get out of way. I said that the batter can stand there like a statue in the box, she doesn't have to duck or move to let the catcher throw to third, as long as she doesn't move to interfere, shes good. Who is right?
You would be right. Attempting to get out of the way would put the batter in more jeopardy. Stand like a statue after completing your swing is best legal place to be.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
The only time a batter is required to vacate the batter's box is when a runner is attempting to score.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Most players, coaches, and umpires don't understand this scenario: a passed ball gets by the catcher, hits the backstop, bounces back and lands between the legs of the batter still in the batter's box. Answer: The batter must stay motionless and stay in the batter's box. If the ball is touched by the batter while trying to move from the box, she is out for interference.

Oct 11, 2018
Most players, coaches, and umpires don't understand this scenario: a passed ball gets by the catcher, hits the backstop, bounces back and lands between the legs of the batter still in the batter's box. Answer: The batter must stay motionless and stay in the batter's box. If the ball is touched by the batter while trying to move from the box, she is out for interference.
Do you have a rule quote for this. A batter moving around and interfering with a throw from the catcher is Interference. Not sure I've seen a rule about a passed ball or WP hitting the batter. [there is a rule that specifically applies to a dropped 3rd strike, but I am not aware of a general rule about a ball "touched" by the batter.]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom