Batter interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
I've seen this called wrong so many times. Dead ball, but nobody out because "it wasn't intentional".

May 29, 2015
Paying it back - @MTR and @Comp have provided me so much insight and knowledge which has helped me be a better umpire and I appreciate when they come here and comment especially when I have it not 100% right (or just plain wrong).

Also this is great for me - people put up scenarios and provide the opportunity to think through the situation and decide what I would call and then make sure I have the call right and I am not misapplying or misunderstanding the rules. All without having to do it on the field. Saved my butt more than once and accelerated my progress.

I am honestly not sure why more umpires are not on forums such as this.

Very well said!

For umpires, there really is no “practice”. This is about as close at it comes. You really just get to hop into doing games and only get better through doing it.

May 29, 2015
I've seen this called wrong so many times. Dead ball, but nobody out because "it wasn't intentional".

It may not have been called wrong. This is why it is critical to know the rules of the organization you are playing with ... in some places (mainly baseball) intent is required.

There is no such thing as “we’re playing softball” or “we’re playing baseball”. That’s a product of the past.

Aug 25, 2019
Mostly correct. You don't need intent for an interference call - intent just makes it an easy call :cool:

The answer is "Yes. Interference. Intent doesn't matter"

Also the batter's box isn't some magical safe zone - intent still doesn't matter. It is more about whether the batter makes additional moves they didn't need to make which meant they got in the way. For example, there is no call if the batter remains where they have just finished their swing or if the batter is avoiding being hit by the pitch. However if they are moving around in the batters box, or swinging their bat around, they are still at risk. Or even if they have finished the swing and they need to vacate the area so some sort of play can be made.

Made a call last year where the runner on 2B made a late break on a steal of 3B. The batter had finsihed their swing and then took a step backwards and was beginning to take a practice swing when the catcher's throw hit her. While the batter was still in the box, it was a clear interference call. No intent, but clearly hindered the catcher's attempt to play on a runner.

USSSA Wording:

Rule 7 Sec 12. A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.
Thank you, I figured it would be interference, but I thought the runner would be out. Would the runner still be on third, or she would be sent back to 2nd?

Aug 25, 2019
In USSSA, the batter’s box is not a safe haven and intent is not judged. Stepping out of the batter’s box is one way of interfering.

USSSA
7-12: A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.
Also, what if the catcher winds up to throw, put doesn't throw because the batter may have interfered with the throw?

Aug 25, 2019
Paying it back - @MTR and @Comp have provided me so much insight and knowledge which has helped me be a better umpire and I appreciate when they come here and comment especially when I have it not 100% right (or just plain wrong).

Also this is great for me - people put up scenarios and provide the opportunity to think through the situation and decide what I would call and then make sure I have the call right and I am not misapplying or misunderstanding the rules. All without having to do it on the field. Saved my butt more than once and accelerated my progress.

I am honestly not sure why more umpires are not on forums such as this.
I'm a new umpire, that's why I'm on here, great wealth of information on fastpitch. Thanks to everyone!

Jun 22, 2008
Thank you, I figured it would be interference, but I thought the runner would be out. Would the runner still be on third, or she would be sent back to 2nd?
When interference occurs, the ball is dead immediately and all runners return to the last base occupied at the time of the interference. The only way the runner would remain at 3rd would be if they had actually reached the base prior to the act of interference.

Jun 22, 2008
Also, what if the catcher winds up to throw, put doesn't throw because the batter may have interfered with the throw?
The only situation that does require a throw to have interference is for a running lane violation. In that situation and that situation only it does require a throw and it must be a quality throw. In the case of batters interference, if you as the umpire judge the batters actions caused the catcher to pull up from making the throw you can still rule interference.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In the case of batters interference, if you as the umpire judge the batters actions caused the catcher to pull up from making the throw you can still rule interference.

That is assuming the defender actually could have retired a runner or batter-runner.

Jul 22, 2015
It may not have been called wrong. This is why it is critical to know the rules of the organization you are playing with ... in some places (mainly baseball) intent is required.

There is no such thing as “we’re playing softball” or “we’re playing baseball”. That’s a product of the past.

I know I could have this wrong, but if you are playing under a set of rules where intent is required for interference to be called doesn't the ball stay live even if it contacts the batter? Or, are there instances where it IS a dead ball but no interference? I thought it was an either/or. Either interference and dead ball, or no interference and the ball stays live.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse