Batter interference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
A right handed batter is up, runner on 2nd. Ball gets loose to the catcher's left. Runner on 2nd breaks for third. The batter steps out of the batter's box and (unintentionally) gets in the way of the catcher throwing to third, is that interference?

May 29, 2015
Yes. Once she leaves the box her intent doesn't matter. If she stays in the box she is generally safe there as long as the umpire doesn't think she interfered intentionally.

In USSSA, the batter’s box is not a safe haven and intent is not judged. Stepping out of the batter’s box is one way of interfering.

USSSA
7-12: A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes. Once she leaves the box her intent doesn't matter. If she stays in the box she is generally safe there as long as the umpire doesn't think she interfered intentionally.

Mostly correct. You don't need intent for an interference call - intent just makes it an easy call :cool:

The answer is "Yes. Interference. Intent doesn't matter"

Also the batter's box isn't some magical safe zone - intent still doesn't matter. It is more about whether the batter makes additional moves they didn't need to make which meant they got in the way. For example, there is no call if the batter remains where they have just finished their swing or if the batter is avoiding being hit by the pitch. However if they are moving around in the batters box, or swinging their bat around, they are still at risk. Or even if they have finished the swing and they need to vacate the area so some sort of play can be made.

Made a call last year where the runner on 2B made a late break on a steal of 3B. The batter had finsihed their swing and then took a step backwards and was beginning to take a practice swing when the catcher's throw hit her. While the batter was still in the box, it was a clear interference call. No intent, but clearly hindered the catcher's attempt to play on a runner.

USSSA Wording:

Rule 7 Sec 12. A batter shall not interfere with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter’s box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher’s attempt to play on a runner, or by failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate congested area when there is a throw to home and there is time for the batter to move away.
PENALTY: Dead ball; the batter is out.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I want to thank @marriard and @The Man In Blue for the wealth of information they bring to this board, they make me to not "dislike" umpires so much! ;) Seriously, thank you guys!

Paying it back - @MTR and @Comp have provided me so much insight and knowledge which has helped me be a better umpire and I appreciate when they come here and comment especially when I have it not 100% right (or just plain wrong).

Also this is great for me - people put up scenarios and provide the opportunity to think through the situation and decide what I would call and then make sure I have the call right and I am not misapplying or misunderstanding the rules. All without having to do it on the field. Saved my butt more than once and accelerated my progress.

I am honestly not sure why more umpires are not on forums such as this.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I am honestly not sure why more umpires are not on forums such as this.
The old adage is a great umpire is hardly ever noticed, it's only the bad umpires that draw attention to themselves that everyone notices..........I highly disagree with this, I notice them all, especially the great ones! And I never forget any of them, especially the great ones!!

Jun 7, 2019
this is great for me - people put up scenarios and provide the opportunity to think through the situation and decide what I would call and then make sure I have the call right and I am not misapplying or misunderstanding the rules. All without having to do it on the field.

I second that!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478