Batter injured during at-bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
12U rec league using NFHS rules. The entire lineup bats. We had a batter get hurt in the middle of an at-bat today. The ump said if she couldn't finish batting then it's an out because we didn't have any subs since the entire lineup bats. Is that the correct ruling?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The problem here is if everybody bats, they're not actually using NFHS rules since NFHS rules don't allow for that. So they're using house rules, and they either didn't account for the situation or the umpire doesn't know the house rules (probably not his fault).

Jul 14, 2018
As others have said, not strictly NFHS rules when batting the lineup. I’ll say the thing I hated reading as a 12U rec coach: ”Give me a break, it’s a 12U rec game!”

Played a friendly doubleheader last week at 16U, batted the whole lineup. One of our players suffered a mild concussion on the field. She sat out the rest of the game and when her spot came up I offered to take the out. The other coach declined and said just skip to the next batter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 1, 2013
FWIW, when I do a rec game, I make darn sure we know the procedure for this situation before the first pitch is thrown. I do this because I did not do it in the past and we had to "on the fly" deal with it. If the rules aren't specific about it, I now get an agreement from the coaches before we start.

In the "bat the order" rec leagues I do, in this specific situation, the batter that was injured and cannot complete her at-bat is out, but then skipped for the remainder of the game )if they cannot return) without penalty (unless they drop below 9).

Aug 12, 2014
The problem here is if everybody bats, they're not actually using NFHS rules since NFHS rules don't allow for that. So they're using house rules, and they either didn't account for the situation or the umpire doesn't know the house rules (probably not his fault).

We don't have a house rule for it. We have a house rule for courtesy runners, so once the runner is safe at first you can sub the last batted out to run. I will definitely bring it up at our preseason meeting next spring.

Here's how it played out (I didn't want to influence the answers): The girl hurt her arm (pitch hit the bat then her arm so was a foul ball) and said it hurt to swing. We had her just stand there for the rest of the AB and she walked. Then we could've put a courtesy runner in for her, but she was fine to run. She ended up staying in the game and was able to take her next at-bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802