batter/coach timeouts for conference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Ajaywill,

Sorry for not being clear on my post. Yes, the 3rd base coach conferred with each batter once they had 2 strikes against them. This was the batter walking about 1/3 to 1/2 the way to the coaches box on 3rd base and taking about 10-20 seconds to "talk". I believe it is intended to change the pitcher's rhythm and the timing of the game. These were initiated by the 3rd base coach. Are there any penalties the HPU can assess for repeatedly trying to delay the game this way (i.e. strikes added to batter or warnings). I intend to head this off the next time we face them, I just want to know what I can stand on with the Blue.

I don't know what rule set you are playing under, but most, if not all of them have some type of rule regarding how long the batter has to get back in the box between pitches. For USA SB , it's 10 seconds. The penalty for violating this rule is somewhat left up to the umpire and can be a warning or a strike assessed to the batter. If these "conferences" are repeatedly taking 10 - 20 seconds, this is the rule you need to bring to the umpires attention.

Most umpires will not use this rule until they have to. In other words, Its not a race for the umpire to count to ten before the batter gets back in the box. However, in your games, it seems as if it is a time to use this rule.

May 30, 2011
Very customary for batter to be outside the box between pitches taking a sign and/or verbal instructions while the ball remains alive. The time constraint rules are as Ajay mentioned more of a tool at the umpires disposal to keep the game moving. I've rarely had to use it, generally just an "ok,batter,lets go" will do the trick. But if she refuses to come to the box I can call a strike for delay. But going all the way to the coach and burning 20 plus secs between pitches isn't gonna fly, I'll be telling coach play ball or take a conference.

An actual charged defensive conference happens when a team requests time out to talk with players on the field and the ball is dead. In NFHS and USA play the defense gets three of these during a seven inning game, and one per extra inning. The offense gets one per inning including extras. These conferences are NOT cumulative. A request for time to change pitchers is not a charged conference. Additionally, time may be granted to fix equipment or attend an injured player etc without a charged conference at the umpires discretion.

Jul 2, 2013
I've always been told it is 1 per inning for the offense unless the umpire grants another. For instance, if a coach used his one conference then asked for another the umpire can let him have it or tell him no and continue the game. This has happened a couple of times in the past and even led to a UIC conference at one point. Is that true?

Jun 22, 2008
The umpire can call time for injuries etc that are not charged as a conference, but no, the umpire may not grant a coach more than 1 offensive conference per inning. The rule specifically says "there shall be only one charged conference" and it goes on to state, "The umpire shall not permit any such conferences in excess of one an inning."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I quit talking to kids, during their at bat, a long time ago. At the national coaches conference, they teach against us saying anything. So, talking to one per inning is fine, with me.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I coach 1B for my DDs 10u rec team, I "confer" with probably half of the batters (eye contact, out of the box, not generic eye on ball stuff) mostly about where to stand (backing them up against faster pitchers, it is sooo hard to get them to understand this) and about getting out of box when runner i son 3rd after the pitch. would this count?

My brother-in-law uses numbers to help guide the batters. Position 0 is the very from of the box for bunting or really slow pitchers. Position 1 is the from 3rd of the box. Position 2 the middle, and position 3 the back of the box for faster pitchers.

Once they learn the positions telling a batter/team, "Position 1 vs. this pitcher" is really easy.

It might help.

May 6, 2015
My brother-in-law uses numbers to help guide the batters. Position 0 is the very from of the box for bunting or really slow pitchers. Position 1 is the from 3rd of the box. Position 2 the middle, and position 3 the back of the box for faster pitchers.

Once they learn the positions telling a batter/team, "Position 1 vs. this pitcher" is really easy.

It might help.

a little too advanced for most of the girls on this team, but I like the concept. basically, if the pitcher is not fairly above average (for the teams we are playing) in speed, I do not give them much direction on stance. but last game we faced a pitcher significantly faster than anything they have faced. very hard to get them to understand to move all the way back, to get more time to get bat around (some were starting swing as pitch crossed plate, ball well past when bat was over plate). finally got through to this issue onolder DDs 14u rec team, had to tell them I wanted their back foot on the chalk, and had to show them all. but they started to get it, put more balls in play that way.

now if I could only get them to reset front foot after each pitch! as they move it towards plate every pitch, so by end of at bat, they are very closed, and jumping out of box, because it looks like pitch is coming right at them.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
a little too advanced for most of the girls on this team, but I like the concept. basically, if the pitcher is not fairly above average (for the teams we are playing) in speed, I do not give them much direction on stance. but last game we faced a pitcher significantly faster than anything they have faced. very hard to get them to understand to move all the way back, to get more time to get bat around (some were starting swing as pitch crossed plate, ball well past when bat was over plate). finally got through to this issue onolder DDs 14u rec team, had to tell them I wanted their back foot on the chalk, and had to show them all. but they started to get it, put more balls in play that way.

now if I could only get them to reset front foot after each pitch! as they move it towards plate every pitch, so by end of at bat, they are very closed, and jumping out of box, because it looks like pitch is coming right at them.

I may have explained it poorly because he uses it with 10U girls and they get it.

Sep 26, 2011
LL just instituted one foot in box rule. Yes there are about 8 exceptions but if it's a regular pitch fielded cleanly they cannot leave the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee