Batted ball hits runner NFHS rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Just want to clarify. Assuming F3 and F5 are playing in front of their respective bases, (if I understand correctly) a baserunner behind either of them hit with a batted ball would not be out for interference unless another fielder had the chance to make a play or they intentionally interfered. Does it matter if F3 or F5 had a play on the ball, or simply that the ball passed them?

Aug 25, 2019
Well I would say that would have to be a umpire judgement call if the fielder had a legit chance at the ball.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have a similar question or maybe it's the same question. If the 1st and 2nd basemen are playing in and a ground ball is hit between them (they have no play on the ball) and it hits the runner who is 'behind' them is the runner out?

Oct 11, 2018
I have a similar question or maybe it's the same question. If the 1st and 2nd basemen are playing in and a ground ball is hit between them (they have no play on the ball) and it hits the runner who is 'behind' them is the runner out?

Using USA softball rules, in the situation you describe, the runner would not be out unless another fielder had an opportunity to make an out (not just a play). The actual rule wording is "
  • When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. The ball is dead and the runner is out.
So if the RF were in position to field the ball and throw to 1st or 2nd for an out, the runner should be called out, even though the ball passed 2 infielders. But if RF were deep and had no chance to get an out, the runner would not be called out for interference.

Aug 25, 2019
Using USA softball rules, in the situation you describe, the runner would not be out unless another fielder had an opportunity to make an out (not just a play). The actual rule wording is "
  • When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. The ball is dead and the runner is out.
So if the RF were in position to field the ball and throw to 1st or 2nd for an out, the runner should be called out, even though the ball passed 2 infielders. But if RF were deep and had no chance to get an out, the runner would not be called out for interference.
RIght!...I was going to give that example too, but then again, I've never heard of a runner being called out for interference because of denying the RF of a play on ball.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Using USA softball rules, ...
  • When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. The ball is dead and the runner is out....
NFHS rules has almost identical wording:

Art. 11...The runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and any fielder has an opportunity to make an out.
Penalty: The ball is dead and the runner is out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812