Bat wrapping at load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
...who is doing the feeding? Way too fast. No time to reset between swings.

Yes!!! This ^^^ is something that often gets overlooked in the rush to get as much "work" in as possible. Allowing the batter time to reset is important. Take the time to make each swing count, and swing with a purpose.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just reread the posting. You don't need to modify her swing, you need to modify her mindset. What is driving the barrel? arms or torso? Deltoid, neck slot , swing rail drills. She pushes hand away from torso then hand get stuck and then she drags the barrel around. Hands should have a short radius and only come off the arc to adjust to pitch. It will be difficult to change her with mechanical cues. She needs to understand where the power comes from.

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
Did a quick hitting session when DD got home from school since she has a bunch of homework. Showed her a few drills for turning the barrel. First video is at like 50% so she can try to work on mechanics with a full swing. Obviously it was weird for her but we’ll see how it progresses.

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
Yeah I know, just trying to get her thinking about not wrapping her hands back and kinda get the jist of TTB. She did much better when doing tee work. The mechanics kinda went out the window during soft toss, but at least the bat wrapping didn’t come into play

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There are several pieces to this puzzle, many of them have been mentioned in previous posts. When I look at still shots from the cage video I see bat drag. Someone mentioned the 'level swing' syndrome. She drops her hands and the bat head to down to the level of the ball. This is related to her lack of tilt at address/launch which makes her swing off plane, which was also previously mentioned. In the garage videos you can see how upright she is, to get down the level of the ball she is swinging the bat head on a downward path. I like what I see in the video, she's just off plane.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
B
Here’s a little video of a cage session a couple weeks ago. Mind you this was after an hour of strength & agility training. She’s smoked by the time they start hitting

Before you start learning ‘new’ things. I would address the overly active hands. The lower needs to load before the upper.When she goes forward her hands are fully loaded. They should not be. Just like the cue ‘hips then hands’ the same can be said for the sequential load. Hips then hands. Address that first. See where your at after... It’s the ‘wrap’ your seeing.

It’s a simple fix. Her over active hand load is killing the sequence.

Once you fix that. You will need to address the sway. One thing at a time. Your DD movements look good. She just need to put her swing in the right order and get a bit more balanced.

Notice how he gets his weight back while the hands are relaxed. The hands get ‘loaded’ during the forward move.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Look at pic on post 7. She's not bat wrapping. She looks nice at toe touch.

She goes wrong just after - she throws the hands away from her body away from the pitcher. After toe touch, her hands should stay near her shoulder as she rotates through to hip slot (elbow at hip).

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Look at pic on post 7. She's not bat wrapping. She looks nice at toe touch.

She goes wrong just after - she throws the hands away from her body away from the pitcher. After toe touch, her hands should stay near her shoulder as she rotates through to hip slot (elbow at hip).

I said it’s the ‘wrap HE is seeing’. I didn’t say it was wrap... the body needs to advance first before the hands ‘go back’. It’s sequence 101.

She’s uphill, stuck and out of her legs at toe touch. You sure she looks good at toe touch?

Upstream actions matter more than the swing itself in most cases.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
It looks like she has the intention of taking her hands to the level of the ball. I suspect there has been a lot of "level swing" and "don't drop your shoulder" in her instruction up to this point.

Learning about swinging on an angled plane and adjusting tilt for different pitch location is an important concept. We want to see the barrel working through the hitting zone in a plane parallel with the angle of the shoulders. For a lot of players, starting with the barrel resting on the rear shoulder and using the hands to turn the barrel to contact helps with learning this idea.

Great post

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812