Bat Warmers ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I want to caution you against getting a false sense of security that a bat warmer will allow your DD to use a composite bat in cold weather. The temperature of the softball, which gets harder in cold weather, is what causes problems for composite bats, NOT the temperature of the bat itself.

Jun 22, 2008
Are bat warmers legal to use in High School and NCAA in Pennsylvania ?

Bat warmers are illegal in ASA (dont remember rule off the top of my head), FED 2-4-2-A, and NCAA 3.3.5 The use of any treatment or device that fundamentally changes the specifications of bats (for example, shaving, rolling, artificially warming, or using a bat warmer) is prohibited and renders the equipment altered and unsuitable for play.

USSSA is the only association I am aware of who recently went the opposite direction and has allowed warmers as long as they are approved by USSSA.

Jun 22, 2008
One other thing, it doesnt necessarily have to be an actual bat warmner. If there is a heater in the dugout and it is anywhere near the bats it is considered artificial warming and the bats are considered illegal for the remainder of the game.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I want to caution you against getting a false sense of security that a bat warmer will allow your DD to use a composite bat in cold weather. The temperature of the softball, which gets harder in cold weather, is what causes problems for composite bats, NOT the temperature of the bat itself.

You are correct about the ball being colder. But a composite bat being cold has just as much to do with potential problems also. A comp bat is made to flex/compress or whatever word you wanna use. When a comp bat is very cold, the ability to flex without strain is lessened. So instead of a possible flex on a hit, the fibers may break.
Perfect example is if you ever compression test a bat. When a bat is cold, it will register much higher than when its 90 degrees out. Which means its not compressing as easy when cold.

So when you combine a rock hard ball because of the cold and an ice cold bat, that's 2 negatives and a terrible combo for a comp bat. If you keep a bat decent temperature, now your hitting a rock hard ball that is a higher compression because of the cold, and your using a comp bat that is now flexing at optimum. So you are getting more performance than the same ball and same bat in 80 degrees or the same ball and bat in 40 degrees.
Which is why ASA doesn't like the warmers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802