Bat Vibration

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My 9 yo DD has a new bat that is, I think, 26 or 27/14.5.
When we go to the batting cage I pitch and use their balls. I let her use this bat and find she has a stronger swing with this bat but a higher incidence of vibration that psychs her out.

Is this bat just too light to hit a softball with?

She has a 27" Worth that's heavier but she isn't strong enough to swing it with authority. She has used it in Coach pitch but it was even a bit heavy for that.

I'm thinking she should probably just start practicing with a heavier bat.

Is this correct or am I expecting too much at this age?

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I heard this as a way to check for the best weight to use.

Hold the bat in the right hand straight out horizontally in front, palm down for 15 seconds, do the same in the left hand. If she can hold it for 20 seconds it is too light, under 15 too heavy. Anotehr way to check is to take a full swing and stop it at point of contact (check swing) If she can stop it it is a good weight.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would see what bat has the largest sweet spot on it and just let her use that one. Some of those short bats, don't have a very big area to hit with.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Often the cheap bats have very small sweet spots and lots of vibration. You may need to get a little better bat. You can try one of those things that goes over the knob of the bat to dampen vibration.

Feb 8, 2009
Most 9 year olds use bats heavier and longer than the bat your daughter uses. A 17oz. 29 in. fits most girls her age. The vibration is common for girls her age and size. The bat is too short, causing her to hit off the end, and she probably lacks strength at contact. Cheap aluminum bats certainly don't help.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks fer the responses! I think the comments about the smaller sweet spot have probably nailed the issue.
We went to the cages again today and she used different bats. With live pitching she didn't experience the vibration so I'm thinking the machine was throwing harder than I was. She tried different bats, could hit with all of them, so I'm thinking it's early enough in the pre-season that she could work up to the heavier bat by the end of April.

Alexander 58 - I guess I'm not seeing the same 9 yo's as you, but I get the point about the bigger bat. The 9yo's I see swinging longer bats swing either like they're swinging an oar or playing badminton. But I only see the girls in a rec league, not Jr Olympic level. I know her small bat is too short now.

Feb 8, 2009
I coach travel, so there is plenty of repetition-building strength. Even my 8 year olds can swing the 17 oz. bats.Some can go a little heavier. Believe me, I don't push them to swing heavier bats until their ready. I'd sooner have them go too light than too heavy.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
We went to the cages again today and she used different bats. With live pitching she didn't experience the vibration so I'm thinking the machine was throwing harder than I was.

Commercial pitching machines use balls that are built for durability. As a result, they're often more dense (and harder) than a regular softball. That wouldn't help either. Could explain why she didn't feel the vibration on live pitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28