Bat Upgrade

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2021
It’s time for a bat upgrade and I’m hoping you all can help. DD has been swinging an AXE element 30/18 for a few years now. She’s a 10 Almost 11yr old and the size of a small horse (Gotta love those Germanic genes.) We borrowed an older LS X-12 that was 33/21 from the cages last night and was doing pretty good with it. Nowhere near the speed she swings her AXE but I feel like that ones just too light. Based on the size charts and the bat database here it looks like a 32/22 wouldn’t be out of line, but there are people here that know way more than me, is that too big a jump?

Also if that seems reasonable I’m kinda at a crossroads on a few bats I’m hoping you all can steer me in the right direction.All brand new and close to same price: 1st is a 2020 LXT, 2nd is a Prism, 3rd would be the 2020 Axe Power Gap-that ones because she already swings an axe and is comfortable with it, also has less of a tendency to wrap her hands (idk if that’s the technical way to say it) with the axe

thanks, and hopefully that’s not too hard to understand

Sep 19, 2018
2 inches and 4 ounces is huge. resign yourself to a new bat every 12 to 18 (if you are lucky) months. Do not rush to go bigger. If you are in-between sizes, take the smaller size. Even a 31 -11 will take getting used to. How tall? She is still playing 10U, 31 is plenty long.

I have not heard anything on the AXE but both of the other bats are quality bats. Watch her swing both and see what feels best to her.

Jan 14, 2020
2 inches and 4 ounces is huge. resign yourself to a new bat every 12 to 18 (if you are lucky) months. Do not rush to go bigger. If you are in-between sizes, take the smaller size. Even a 31 -11 will take getting used to. How tall? She is still playing 10U, 31 is plenty long.

I have not heard anything on the AXE but both of the other bats are quality bats. Watch her swing both and see what feels best to her.
We have a couple good sized girls on my DD's team and neither swing longer that a 31... I agree 100% w @cnardone about the jump and bat longevity, my DD has both LS and the Prism, but leans toward the LS.

Jan 27, 2021

She is still playing 10U, but she’s one of those kids we have to carry her birth certificate for just in case another team throws a fit. I guess saying she’s the size of a small horse isn’t a great description. She’s 5’2.5” and 135lbs. Usually when people see me they get her size but the comments about playing a 12yr old from parents, esp smaller kid teams, almost always happen.

A 31/21 was actually my first thought. But after seeing her swing the x-12 21oz and seeing the databasesaying that bat was closer to 21.7 has me second guessing. And I totally don’t mind buying a bat ever 18months or so (DW prob will) but it would be nice to sell the old one off to offset some of the costs. Selling a xeno she outgrew was only thing that helped push DW over the okay ledge lol. In fact that’s my only fear on the axe is not getting anything out of selling it when it’s time to move up again

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Stand her up straight against a wall, measure the width of her shoulders edge to edge, whatever that measurement is, double it to get her bat length.

15" shoulder width = 30" bat.
15.5" width = a 31" bat.
16" width = a 32" bat.

And whatever length you settle on, get her a true -10 balanced bat.......30/20, 31/21 etc.

Apr 9, 2020
It’s time for a bat upgrade and I’m hoping you all can help. DD has been swinging an AXE element 30/18 for a few years now. She’s a 10 Almost 11yr old and the size of a small horse (Gotta love those Germanic genes.) We borrowed an older LS X-12 that was 33/21 from the cages last night and was doing pretty good with it. Nowhere near the speed she swings her AXE but I feel like that ones just too light. Based on the size charts and the bat database here it looks like a 32/22 wouldn’t be out of line, but there are people here that know way more than me, is that too big a jump?

Also if that seems reasonable I’m kinda at a crossroads on a few bats I’m hoping you all can steer me in the right direction.All brand new and close to same price: 1st is a 2020 LXT, 2nd is a Prism, 3rd would be the 2020 Axe Power Gap-that ones because she already swings an axe and is comfortable with it, also has less of a tendency to wrap her hands (idk if that’s the technical way to say it) with the axe

thanks, and hopefully that’s not too hard to understand
bat is personal preference .. kids and players and coaches will swear by brands ,, some have more pop , some feel more balanced , there is no wrong bat... my only tidbit is try and stay with the drop 10 if she can truly handle the weight only because as she moves up or plays up with bigger ball and as the girls throw harder the thinning of the wall to get the drop 11 is directly related to longevity of the bat, I made the mistake as she was moving up to stay with drop 11 to keep up the bat speed as the girls were starting to throw harder and her practice became more regular meaning more swings, the -11 ;lasted not even the fall season and when sent back the rep actually called me and advised to get -10 as replacement instead of the same -11.. brand and feel is kid dependent go with what she likes and obviously price point at this level ...she has had demarini, ghosts, then to lxts and now back to ghost as her next level team is sponsored by Easton and she wants to be accustomed to that as she makes the transition.. good luck

Jan 27, 2021
lol, I guess we are going back to DSG to try out the cage again and to try and nail down a size. I feel bad doing so because I’m for sure ordering whatever we get won’t be from them but idk what else to do. I did learn from our last visit there that they don’t actually train those guys at all for sizing. He kept telling me that even a 30was too big and I needed to drop her to a 29/18

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
lol, I guess we are going back to DSG to try out the cage again and to try and nail down a size. I feel bad doing so because I’m for sure ordering whatever we get won’t be from them but idk what else to do. I did learn from our last visit there that they don’t actually train those guys at all for sizing. He kept telling me that even a 30was too big and I needed to drop her to a 29/18
1) You don't want to jump any more than 2 ounces unless she's very strong and has outstanding swing mechanics. Then you can jump 3 ounces.

2) Every inch in bat length added, acts the same as an ounce of weight on swing speed. So, adding an inch and an ounce is the same as adding 2 ounces and staying at the same length.

3) You want to get your DD to a drop 10 ASAP. The more mass behind the ball, the further it goes.

4) If that means your next bat stays the same length and goes to a drop 10, so be it. If she can move up an inch and 2 ounces to a drop 10, even better but don't push it just because you don't want to buy another bat in 6 months. You'll do far more damage in the long run than the short term damage to your wallet.

5) Realize that you are late to the game. The best time to go up in weight and length is immediately following the end of Fall Ball so she has all Winter and early Spring to get used to the differences from her old bat and get her swing speed back up before Summer Ball.

6) Since you are late to the game, the quickest way for your DD to get her swing speed back up with her new bat is a combination of underloading and overloading. Have your DD swing her old bat 10 times, followed by 10 times with her new one and follow that with 10 swings with a heavier bat. That's 30 swings a day total. Have her do it 6 days in a row and take the 7th day off. She'll have her bat speed back up in 3-4 weeks. Have her keep doing it for another 4-6 weeks and she'll add even more speed. Usually 4-5 additional MPH are the results I see with my hitters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478