Bat sizing question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD is using a 31” -10 that we purchased during last year’s off season. She’s 13yo, 5’ 1.5” (the 0.5 is important if you ask her), and 112lbs. I thought she might have already outgrown it but watching her swing it again on Sunday it looks perfect in her hands.

She used my 34” -9 during an open field last Summer for giggles and was sending them. But it’s WAY too big for any serious use of course.

May 4, 2020
Sorry about that. She's 4'7" and 92lbs. She using a 30" drop -11. Thanks.
I would say 30” drop 10 is the size you want if she has average bat speed.
If she has above average bat speed I would say 31” drop 11 would be your best bet. Something in a light balanced bat like LXT, CF/Prism.
In a 30” you could go with a little more substantial bat like Ghost or a Xeno.

Oct 4, 2018
You're fine. You're fine with what you have now. And honestly, you'd be fine moving up most likely.

A few things. The bats DO NOT weigh what they say on the bat. Go to the bat weight database thread here in the stickies and find out what each bat really weights. And put your DDs bat on a scale and find out what it weighs.

One ounce is the weight of 7 sheets of paper. It's not much at all. I personally think there's a range of several ounces that are fine, especially with young kids growing like weeds.

... and when you and DD (and hitting coach) all feel it's time for a new bat, find a place that sells all models and has a machine you can swing them on. Measure exit speeds, and use exit speed and what your DD likes the most (feels right) to purchase the right one.

Jun 19, 2016
If anything I would say the bat is too big. My DD uses a 31/21 and she just turned 12. She is 5'4" and 150#. The biggest mistake most parents make is a bat that is too big. Of the bat is going to big the faster pitchers will just blow it by her.

Apr 17, 2019
FWIW, I just turned 41 (lol), I'm 5'3.5" (the 0.5 is important! 😉) and 160lbs (put all those stats out there in solidarity with the players!). My bat size of choice is 33/24. I can throw that bat around and generate plenty of power to put a ball out. Once I'm used to swinging that bat, going to a 34" slow pitch bat just feels like I'm swinging a tree trunk made of lead. I can get it around just fine and keep my mechanics, but it just feels slow and loopy.
There's no law that says fully grown people have to swing a 34" -8. They make bats for all sizes of players Leave the 34" -8 to the 6'1" 180lbs girls, imo.

Aug 2, 2019
My goofy kid has always gravitated to what I thought was a too long, too heavy bat. At 4'10", 82 lbs she insisted on using a 32 -9 that I picked up for cheap as a heavy bat for drills over a 31 -11. I finally let her use it in a league game. It was so obviously over sized the coach questioned her about it in warm ups and tried to explain that it was too big, and tried to burn front toss by her. DD drove everything hard up the middle. In the game she hit one to the fence. I failed to prove my point, and she has been using a bat that is too big by every chart, and coaches opinion with great success.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45