Bat sizing question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
My daughter is currently swinging a 30" bat (10u player). Her hitting coach a few lessons back mention to me, that she may need the next size up. In this case it would be a 31" bat. I had her do the test with her hands at her sides, and the knob of that bat went up past the top part of her wrist. Not really excited to purchase another nice bat. As I just got her, a nice bat in the fall. The majority of sizing charts a 30" is the right size bat for her. I've seen maybe 2 charts suggest a 31" bat. If she grows a few more inches, then it would put her in the category of needing the next size up. Also worried about the extra size messing with her swing.

Thanks for any input.

May 21, 2015
South
You left out two important details. How tall and how much your daughter weighs? Is the 30 inch bat a drop 10, 11, etc?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Measure the width of her shoulders outside to outside, then double it......

15” shoulder width equals a 30” bat, and so on!

At 4’7” a 30” bat sounds right, I’d be more interested in moving her into a -10 bat then worrying about bat length!

EDIT: In all honesty I’m not so sure that a 30” bat isn’t too big for her now? You know your DD better than we do! I’m pretty sure Anna started using a 31” bat her second year of 12U.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
My daughter is currently swinging a 30" bat (10u player). Her hitting coach a few lessons back mention to me, that she may need the next size up. In this case it would be a 31" bat. I had her do the test with her hands at her sides, and the knob of that bat went up past the top part of her wrist. Not really excited to purchase another nice bat. As I just got her, a nice bat in the fall. The majority of sizing charts a 30" is the right size bat for her. I've seen maybe 2 charts suggest a 31" bat. If she grows a few more inches, then it would put her in the category of needing the next size up. Also worried about the extra size messing with her swing.

Thanks for any input.
Don't be in a hurry to increase bat size. Many more issues created from swinging a bat too long and heavy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
Don't be in a hurry to increase bat size. Many more issues created from swinging a bat too long and heavy

Amen. I know I have been on the soapbox for quite a while now, but I find it hard to believe coaching 10-year-olds now myself that there are that many 10-year-olds around that can swing a 31 inch bat or bigger. My 10-year-old, who I would consider average size and strength, just moved from a 28 to a 29.

Apr 17, 2019
I agree, at 4'7", even the 30" sounds large.
Is she likely to go yard with either bat? Not really, no. It's not a home run derby, much prefer a lighter, more maneuverable bat that the kids can manhandle rather than a tree trunk that they can barely get around. IMO, give them the tools to put the ball in play. You never know what's going to happen on the field.

Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for all the information. I'll have her stick with her 30" bat for now. I do feel that this is best. Just got me questioning it in my own head when that topic came up.

Thanks!

May 4, 2020
How

Thanks for any input.
How tall? What is her weight?

Apr 20, 2015
Amen. I know I have been on the soapbox for quite a while now, but I find it hard to believe coaching 10-year-olds now myself that there are that many 10-year-olds around that can swing a 31 inch bat or bigger. My 10-year-old, who I would consider average size and strength, just moved from a 28 to a 29.
Totally agree. My older daughter swung a 28 at 9 and 29 at 10. Now 5ft 6 and just moving into a 33 at 14. My younger is built slightly more sturdy and is moving into the 29 at 9u but we're in no hurry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812