Bat Sizing Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Another question from me.....
DD is 14, 5'-0" 128 lbs. (Power Hitter) and has pretty much stopped growing. Would a 33 be too big for her next bat (which will be an investment and expected to take her at least through the 1st 2 years of High School)??

She's currently swinging a 32/24.

I looked at a chart I got from Cindy Bristow's website and it seemed to indicate 32 was the max for her size.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
IMHO that bat might be too big.

My 13YO DD is 5'9" 225, is a power hitter and swings a 33/23 CF3 and it is just about right for her. DD is very strong and holds the school record for 8lb shot put.

Most of the kids on her team swing a 32/22 and for some of the smaller girls that bat is a little bit too big,

Sep 3, 2009
We look at weight not length. Rule of thumb we use. Height 60" ./. 7 = 8.5 + 15= 23.5
So 23 to 24 is Maxium weight.

I'm not doubting your formula, but just curious how you came up with that? My DD is 52" 11yo. Looking for a new bat for her. She is currently swinging a Demarini Medusa thats a 30/17 -13 drop. By your formula, I'm coming up with 22.5oz max weight, is that right? The bat I was looking at is a 31/21 Phenix. Just don't want to dump a bunch of cash and wind up messing up her swing.

Aug 17, 2009
Baltimore, MD
I have had to answer the same question for a few parents and I set up a swing meter to measure the bat speed. We used the heaviest bat that she could swing with proper mechanics and not dropping speed.

Any thoughts to this?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
IMHO that bat might be too big.

My 13YO DD is 5'9" 225, is a power hitter and swings a 33/23 CF3 and it is just about right for her. DD is very strong and holds the school record for 8lb shot put.

Most of the kids on her team swing a 32/22 and for some of the smaller girls that bat is a little bit too big,

WOW 5'9 225??? Softball isn't the sport for her:D

May 9, 2008
Ideal Bat Weight

I believe the correct formula for ideal bat weight is: Height in inches/7 + 20.
Check out the work of Dr. Daniel A. Russel of Kettering University and Dr. Terry Bahill of the University of Arizona. Just google "ideal bat weight" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Coach-n-Dad, your daughter is 5' 9" = 69/7 = 9.857 + 20 = 29.857. Because she is 220 lbs. I'd round up to 30oz.

Have Fun,:)

Pops

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm not certain about the formulas but here is what I have found through personal coaching experience in the often chilly state of Ohio. Starting when kids are 9 or 10 and somewhat serious about success...

1. The bats with the big drops (-12, -13) do not generally hit the ball as hard and far as better bats with a -10. Give even the 9/10 year old a longer (29"-30"...31" in unique size cases) bat rather than a shorter and lighter bat and work on the swing. Remember a lot of kids could hit before modern materials allowed for big drop ratios available today.

2. The medium priced composites that are -12 and -13 and even -11.5 (red Synergy Clear) are very dead for the price, have a very narrow sweet spot and are big hand stingers compared to better -10 and -9 composites and even modestly priced -10 metal bats.

3. For those just starting out...Hitting with a -9 Easton Cyclone is like hitting with a piece of steel pipe. If at all possible upgarde.

4. The Rocketech REALLY feels heavier to kids. Try one before you buy one.

I have a 15 year old that is 4'-10" and weighs around 105 lbs and has really blossomed with a 33"/-10 Pheonix she borrows from my DD. No problem against quality pitching now that she has connected her mechanics and has a better grip on how to quickly get to point of contact. Previously she used a 32"/-12 and struggled to get there.

Regarding the original question - she can handle a 33" bat if she loves it, believes it is the best bat for her and is a pretty good hitter. That 1" should not be an issue and may help her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28