bat size for 12 yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
I am currently working with a 12U player who is not your typical 12 yr old. She is 5'9" and comes in at about 150 lbs. She is on a travel team and has made the local LL All-star team. I have been working with her hitting for about a month and making good progress. She was swinging a 31" 20 oz and making good contact and driving the ball. Well last week she shows up with a bat that mom and dad bought, composite one piece ....33" 24 ounzes! A club. She swings it but now drives everything into the ground with very little lift. I am going to tell parents this club is a little much for a 12 yr old no matter how strong she is....cowgirl who pulls and leads around a steer according to parents!! Question is should I go this route or let it go and let her grow into it like mom and dad want as well as her travel suggested?

May 25, 2010
Does strength translate directly into quickness?

I'd suggest something a little lighter...33/22 should be just about right. I'm opposed to overpaying for bats, but they should be able to find something in the $50 range that would bring her hitting back up to where it should be.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am her size, but a bit older. :) I swing a 32/22. But I am willing to bet that she is stronger than I am. It is my opinion that a 31 inch wasn't long enough for her.

That said, why did they change bats, if she was having success?

What specific bat is it?

Oct 18, 2009
Gilroy, Ca
thanks for the replies makes me think I am the right track. She was having success with a lighter bat 31/20 but mom and dad thought it "looked" small in her hands and she was using other girls bats. So they decided to get a bat. I had mentioned that she try a 32/21 or 22 (thats what I had in my hitting shed!). Its a Louisville Slugger composite paid $150! I watched a game last night and I have a friend who had video. She looks fine but as she comes thru you can see the barrel head start to drop. Again thanks for the reply and I gave this link to Mom and Dad....not sure who made the bat decission but Dad is big brute !!! haha

Jul 21, 2009
I got my 1st year 12U DD a 34/24 for Christmas. She had problems hitting during the middle school season, but during her Rec & travel ball season she's making contact and hitting it to the SS/2nd base area (she's putting line drives to the outfield during BP).

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
That bat seems huge for a twelve year old. I'm seventeen and I know I couldn't even swing that. That's what my hitting instructor uses and she plays D1 college ball!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802