Bat size and balance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ben

Sep 23, 2019
DD is 12, she is currently swinging a demarini cfx 31" drop 10. It is 2 years old.

Her coach recommended we start looking with a 32-33" and a drop 8 or 9. Isn't that a really big bat? DD is 5'3" and 130 pounds, or around there. We will have her try out bats, but I assume there are limited bats available to try, far fewer than the million online. I don't mean to question her coach, but it seems drop 8 and drop 9 are far less common than 10 or 11. DD is strong. Regular 12 yo strong kid kind of strong, not hold the phone kind of strong.

How does bat balance contribute?
First as children grow bat length needs to be increased to cover plate correctly. As an umpire I can always tell when the bat is too short for the batter. At 12 I would guess 32. If she is 5'7" think 33. As for weight it is more about her swing and her strength. If she is late drop 10. I would go drop 9 although the difference between 8 or 9 is minimal. I will not recommend a mfg. or a price but if she gonna stay with this listen to coach and give her good tools. Enjoy....

Dec 30, 2011
Bat speed is important. However, over emphasized by some coaches. There is a fine line between bat speed and mass on the ball. I have experienced that most young girls/ladies :)
get less distance with -11 bats. If she can handle a -9 I think that may be one to try. -8 can be too much for many players but definitely perfect for a few stronger players who can handle it without diminishing bat speed or hand eye (solid contact). Keep in mind the balance between bat speed and distance or exit speed. Exit speed is affected by both bat speed and bat weight or mass to the ball. In many cases a very light bat may cause numerous ground outs regardless of bat speed. A light bat can, at times, produce a well hit ball but only if exact perfect contact is made in the exact sweet spot on the bat as well as the ball. But not on a consistent basis in most cases.

Ben

Sep 23, 2019
Bat speed is important. However, over emphasized by some coaches. There is a fine line between bat speed and mass on the ball. I have experienced that most young girls/ladies :)
get less distance with -11 bats. If she can handle a -9 I think that may be one to try. -8 can be too much for many players but definitely perfect for a few stronger players who can handle it without diminishing bat speed or hand eye (solid contact). Keep in mind the balance between bat speed and distance or exit speed. Exit speed is affected by both bat speed and bat weight or mass to the ball. In many cases a very light bat may cause numerous ground outs regardless of bat speed. A light bat can, at times, produce a well hit ball but only if exact perfect contact is made in the exact sweet spot on the bat as well as the ball. But not on a consistent basis in most cases.
Completely agree. A heavier bat when correct contact is made can really drive a ball. Either way strong well coordinated swing will serve hitters well. Need to swing using legs and hips. Swing with arms only will never create power. Try out many bats and weight combos.

Aug 2, 2019
I agree with this. Going from the 11" to 12" ball last fall there was a noticeable difference in how the ball jumped off DDs 31 -11. The difference here is the mass of the ball. Her bat speed with her 32 -9 is very clearly not a fast, but the ball jumps off the bat, and goes farther.

Dec 11, 2019
We haven't had the opportunity to demo yet, but I spoke to her coach again and she reiterated that DD is strong and is ahead of every pitch. She is confident DD needs more bat, so we will move up the timeline to get her working something new.

Thanks again for the tips!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478