Bat Recommndation for 13YO?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
My DD will be a 13YO this summer and looking to buy her a new bat. She is 5'3", 120lbs and has been using a 2014 Demarini CF6 (32/22) for about a year. The bat seems to run light and lost some pop. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
My soon-to-be 15 y/o loves her CF6, and is saving up to buy herself a CF8. That said, you can't overlook the 30-day guarantee from Worth for their 2 Legit. They are letting you use the bat for up to 30 days and still return it for a full refund if you don't like it. Doesn't hurt to see "what if" when you can return it and get your money back.
Shop.WorthSports.com // 2016 ²Legit

Jun 11, 2012
My 14 yr old loves her LXT. Swings lighter than a Xeno but not as light as the CF series according to her

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Based on all the reviews I've read here, it's hard to ignore the Miken Freak Black, but if a CF6 32/22 feels too light to her, she will likely feel the same about a MFB 32/22.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
too personal of a choice!

example: My DD tried Easton and Demarini and overwhelmingly preferred the Eastons! (running quite counter to most girls' preferences in the 12U age-group...)

But if you are easily influenced by Forum trends,
then you just gotta get a Miken Freak Black!

She just needs to try a few different bats with front toss or, preferably, live pitching to see what she likes. Some of her friends should have bats she can try out at practice or in local cages. Something will almost certainly stand out to her.

If she can't find a big enough assortment with her team and friends, find out where the local travel team practices and have her drop in on a 14U session. That should get her a few to try if she is willing to ask.

I'd try all the usual suspects if she can. DeMarini (I'd try the new CF8 and forego the CF6 and CF7), Louisville Slugger (Xeno and LXT) and Easton (Mako). IMHO, the rest of the manufacturers have a way to go before they catch up to these three.

I also see no reason why a girl her size needs to go any bigger than a 32/22.

A quick rundown on all the above:

DeMarini - CF8: Will swing the lightest of all. Very well-balanced.

Louisville Slugger - Xeno: Balanced bat that is ever so slightly weighted toward the barrel. Will swing heavier than its sister LXT and will likely outweigh it by around 0.5 oz, as well. LXT: Balance is similar to the DeMarini but it will swing slightly heavier. This bat has an extremely smooth ride and has little to almost no vibration, even on the worst mis-hits.

Easton - Mako - Will swing the heaviest of all these bats, and it will weigh the most, as well, coming in anywhere from 1.0 oz - 2.0 oz over the stated weight. It is very well-balanced.

My team is comprised of 12 girls, all age 12 or 13. Here's what we bring to the plate on Sunday afternoon (11 of these bats are 32/22 in size):

LXT: 4 (all 2015)
Xeno: 5 (all 2015)
CF5: 2
Mako: 1 (2014)

The girl who swings the Mako also rotates in a 2015 Xeno. One of the girls who swings a CF5 rotates in a 2014 LXT. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
14U playing DD (5'3 110lb) has a CF5(32/10) and Xeno(32/10), but prefers her LXT(32/9).

A few girls on team borrow DD LXT over the other choices...

Feb 7, 2013
I suggest you look no further than your screen name and try a "new" old RT or RTF.

I hear yah. She used to have a RT but it runs heavy and is end loaded plus lots of uncertainty with the new company. Maybe tryout some older RTs but not thrilled with the concept of buying bats several years old?

After the suggestions and some research leaning towards 33/23 in CF8 or LXT? Btw, she likes to choke up about an inch (against my wishes) which is the reason thinking 33 now.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I hear yah. She used to have a RT but it runs heavy and is end loaded plus lots of uncertainty with the new company. Maybe tryout some older RTs but not thrilled with the concept of buying bats several years old?

After the suggestions and some research leaning towards 33/23 in CF8 or LXT? Btw, she likes to choke up about an inch (against my wishes) which is the reason thinking 33 now.

I might know where there's an 07 RT with a lot of hits left in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478