Bat Plane - True or False

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
What I'm asking is whether the following scenario is true or false:

If you find the exact point that the bat makes contact with the ball, and then, starting at that point, draw a line through the center of the ball and then out the other side of the ball, the initial direction of the ball flight will be along that line, regardless of which direction the bat and ball were moving at the time of contact.

Is that true or false?
False. Because if just that one moment in time was all that determined it, than there'd be no explaining the various ball spins as Eric mentioned, that cause the different movements of the ball in flight after contact that I stated above.

The only way I can explain the various after contact movements of the ball...is that the ball doesn't always, instantly leave the bat at contact, but rather in some instances, the bat continues to move in its predetermined path with the ball still making contact with it, and thus accounts for the various spins that can/will result from that add time of bat of on ball. JMO obviously...OMMV.

Aug 20, 2020
Spin is a factor in what a ball ultimately does after it's hit, but that is due to the existence of air. Maybe I should have presupposed a vacuum for the hypothetical.

May 12, 2016
What I'm asking is whether the following scenario is true or false:

If you find the exact point that the bat makes contact with the ball, and then, starting at that point, draw a line through the center of the ball and then out the other side of the ball, the initial direction of the ball flight will be along that line, regardless of which direction the bat and ball were moving at the time of contact.

Is that true or false?
In relation to what? The bat or the ground?

May 6, 2015
both matter, where the ball contacts the bat, and the path of both bat and ball. in physics, the vector (direction and velocity) of each object in a collision both determine the exit vector (direction and velocity), and then of course there is spin, which is imparted by both the direction of each movement at point of contact, and the spin of ball and barrel of bat at contact (think having a basketball motionless on your finger, then using your other hand to start it rotating.

in other words, really complicated.

Apr 11, 2015
Spin is a factor in what a ball ultimately does after it's hit, but that is due to the existence of air. Maybe I should have presupposed a vacuum for the hypothetical.
Upon further investigation, I don't believe that "contact" is a single frame of reference, and that the path of the bat determines where the ball ultimately goes after "contact" (spin or not)....

Rk6Gsps.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Thinking about a Tennis player making a slice shot. Slice shot in tennis involves opening the face of the racket, and path equals down and through. Now make that same shot, keep the racket of the face open with a top spin motion. Same Result?

Aug 20, 2020
Upon further investigation, I don't believe that "contact" is a single frame of reference, and that the path of the bat determines where the ball ultimately goes after "contact" (spin or not)....

Rk6Gsps.gif

Has anyone ever experienced a ball staying on the bat for that long after contact, or compressing that much?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Has anyone ever experienced a ball staying on the bat for that long after contact, or compressing that much?
no, there is no way that is a real baseball.
To the original question .... plane and direction are 2 different things. So the question is tough to answer. For example, my DD has a good swing plane but sometimes saws across the ball (bad direction) creating undesirable side spin instead of desirable backspin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478