Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
So you don’t believe in the theory of it...... that’s all you had to say..... I am truly in it for the learning aspect. I feel a lot of discussion gets discarded because someone maybe afraid to be wrong or look dumb to their peers..... I’m not afraid to be proven wrong. I’m just an oil field worker using my hands and back for a living not necessarily my brain. Seriously though, If you care to I would like to hear your experience with going down that road. The actions that were taken and why you believe it failed. Hit me up if you would like to share your journey but either way thanks for the discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you have a good attitude and head on your shoulders to me.

May 12, 2016
It is just a simple drill to isolate hand path, used by a few because it's works for them. They use it if they are comfortable with and they don't if they are not comfortable. Nothing more nothing less.

I believe it doesn't matter to me what they do.
You seem like a good person, I just wanted to get your thoughts on the matter.. if you didn't care to really give your opinion, all you had to do was say so

Apr 11, 2015
So you don’t believe in the theory of it...... that’s all you had to say..... I am truly in it for the learning aspect. I feel a lot of discussion gets discarded because someone maybe afraid to be wrong or look dumb to their peers..... I’m not afraid to be proven wrong. I’m just an oil field worker using my hands and back for a living not necessarily my brain. Seriously though, If you care to I would like to hear your experience with going down that road. The actions that were taken and why you believe it failed. Hit me up if you would like to share your journey but either way thanks for the discussion.

That's good, because I'm not out to prove anyone wrong...just want to introduce things that I had to learn years ago to do my 30+ year job in the medical field better, and later teaching it (before retiring 10+ years ago) that was completely outside of my hitting instruction at the time. Now that's not to say that it wasn't also helpful when discussing things in online and/or personal hitting discussions, but I also realize that it's not a mandatory thing to know to become a good hitting coach or instructor as others I know, and have known have proven. That's kind of it in a nutshell, but if you have any further questions I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you...as I too appreciate your discussion, and thoughts wrt the subject matter.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
I am not arguing, just can't remember the purpose of this post. Why is the piazza gif relevant? is it a good swing we should emulate?

I would recommend emulating Mike Piazza here yes.

It is relevant to bat-path/hand-path through contact imo.

Apr 11, 2015
Quite honestly I had no idea wtf you were talking about.. agreeing with me but at same time I felt like you were questioning me. You confused me. You can stop the 'camp' bs, it's getting old. I have disagreed with both sides, if you can't see that, then you are blind.
Really...this confused you?
Exactly, and one might curiously ask...of what benefit is that when trying to teach a young(er) person how to swing a bat?

To your second point/question....yes, and still a similar question as my first...why would one want to teach something that appears to be an "effect" (barrel path), before trying to teach the actual root "cause" of it (good posture and proper sequence out of it...refer to question one just above)? :unsure:
You mean me saying "Exactly" and "yes" to your statements...didn't clue you in that I was agreeing with you, and that the questions were to those who would be in disagreement to what you had just written?

Then even with this...you didn't realize that "you" wasn't really you personally, but rather "anyone in general really", and yet you still went on like I was questioning you individually, when in fact...I'd been still agreeing with you all along?

Sorry, but the "camp" thing was just my frustration for not understanding why you couldn't understand that I was agreeing with you the whole time...yet you continued to go on and on as if I wasn't, and then make some snide remark about me intentionally "trying to twist and turn things in an attempt to cause confusion", when that was not the case at all, and could only be for one other reason...that is was what the other "campers" do, and the reason I lumped you in with them.

But nonetheless, my apologies for agreeing with you even though you never realized I was doing as such, I'll try harder in the future not to do that. Lol... ;)😃

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Lots to unpack. Here's a simple theory.
Wile E Coyote gets a rubber band and stretches against it as far as he can, then let's go. Zooom. The band contracts and Wile E. takes off.
Now take Wile E. and after he stretches the band as far as he can, pull the front anchor point violently with a large force. The band will stretch more than Wile E. could stretch it by himself.
Now stretch the band and then as the band reaches it's limit and the front anchor us moved, have Wile E. run against the pull of the band.

Turn the shoulders back against a forward moving and gently is opening front hip via external rotation of the rear leg. Creates stretch on the core.
At launch, push the front leg rearward against the pelvis to create a more forceful turn. Simultaneously, throw the barrel rearward via tTB to create an even bigger stretch. Then contract the core against the left turn pull of the pelvis to catch up with the hips.

Anchoring the rear leg may stop the pelvis from rotating.
What stretch does it create and where would the energy be released?

Check out how the forward "drag" or "skip" movement of the rear leg after it becomes unweighted and that the contraction of the femoris rectus pulls against the sacrum to counter rotate it so the spine can positively rotate. Frette's 1st law. This mechanism is how the body ambulates... the pull of the "swing leg" counter rotates the sacrum and the gear effect rotates the lumbar spine in the opposite direction.
Possibly, if the rear leg remains anchored or moves in a scissor, the pull of the femoral rectus (quad muscle) and resulting counter rotation of the sacrum, could have the same positive rotational effect.

I’m quoting this post again to give you a real life example in case you didn’t see the other video I posted of a hitters progression the other day.

Most people tend to agree that Carlos Stanton is a rotator. You always hear he swings around his spine blah blah blah and that he is just a physical freak and that is why he is in the MLB.

Do you remember in 2017 when Carlos Stanton showed up with a closed off stance, then went nuts and hit like 60 hr that season....... I know most people on here really like Matt but IMO he is so far off the mark in this video it isn’t even funny. Check out the video below. To jog your memory of his two different set ups in case you don’t remember.

After watching the video, can you understand what the closed of stance did for him?

IMO it is like he pulled the emergency break up some, not all the way but some. He preset the anchor so to speak, he set up in a scissor position. This allowed him to develop better tension across the body during the swing. It also helped his direction to stay in the middle of the field, not pulling off the ball and created better stability. Notice how his hips don’t rotate to 90 degrees with the closed stance because of the anchor working.

Not a good angle for viewing hand path but he is also a model for early pronation of the top hand IMO, even though most disagree with that.

I just wanted to share that with you now because I’m not sure that I will be able to stay up until midnight to discuss things with you again (you must be working the graveyard shift this week)

Well anyway I hope you can start to see some of the things that have been getting talked about the couple of days.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Really...this confused you?

You mean me saying "Exactly" and "yes" to your statements...didn't clue you in that I was agreeing with you, and that the questions were to those who would be in disagreement to what you had just written?

Then even with this...you didn't realize that "you" wasn't really you personally, but rather "anyone in general really", and yet you still went on like I was questioning you individually, when in fact...I'd been still agreeing with you all along?

Sorry, but the "camp" thing was just my frustration for not understanding why you couldn't understand that I was agreeing with you the whole time...yet you continued to go on and on as if I wasn't, and then make some snide remark about me intentionally "trying to twist and turn things in an attempt to cause confusion", when that was not the case at all, and could only be for one other reason...that is was what the other "campers" do, and the reason I lumped you in with them.

But nonetheless, my apologies for agreeing with you even though you never realized I was doing as such, I'll try harder in the future not to do that. Lol... ;)😃
Just have trouble trusting you.. Some advice for you, less of the holier than thou attitude and cut down on the condescension would help build a little trust between all those lesser folk you preach to. Have a nice night ✌️

Apr 11, 2015
Just have trouble trusting you.. Some advice for you, less of the holier than thou attitude and cut down on the condescension would help build a little trust between all those lesser folk you preach to. Have a nice night ✌
Why would you have trouble trusting me now...weren't you the one who thanked me for being honest, and appreciated me for it? What did I do to change your mind wrt that...just that I post with a confidence in what I have to say is true, and that somehow comes off as "condescending" to you (and yes, others as well), and thus somehow makes me untrustworthy all of a sudden?

Well OK then, that seems a little ostensible, but thanks for the advice, I'll take it under consideration. You have a great night as well. ☮

May 12, 2016
Why would you have trouble trusting me now...weren't you the one who thanked me for being honest, and appreciated me for it? What did I do to change your mind wrt that...just that I post with a confidence in what I have to say is true, and that somehow comes off as "condescending" to you (and yes, others as well), and thus somehow makes me untrustworthy all of a sudden?

Well OK then, that seems a little ostensible, but thanks for the advice, I'll take it under consideration. You have a great night as well. ☮
What can I say, you’ve grown on me. I’ve met a lot of confident people in my life, rarely do they feel the need to belittle others... or constantly feel the need to prove oneself. You might think your confident, but it sure looks like insecurity to me.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
What can I say, you’ve grown on me. I’ve met a lot of confident people in my life, rarely do they feel the need to belittle others... or constantly feel the need to prove oneself. You might think your confident, but it sure looks like insecurity to me.
His constant "hyperlinking" does come off as a bit condescending doesn't it? :LOL:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802