Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is there another hitter who leveraged the internal oblique better ?

0trijCT.gif

Jul 29, 2013
Keep digging....... you are all over the compression part but you don’t seem to have any clue about the braking part, the tensioning, which is where the magic is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, I know how to work on my swing mechanics and I know how to get stronger muscles. ...How do I make my fascia work better in my swing so I can hit more bombs?
How do I get my fascia to apply the brakes?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
So, I know how to work on my swing mechanics and I know how to get stronger muscles. ...How do I make my fascia work better in my swing so I can hit more bombs?

Okay, I will give it a try.........

First I need to make sure I have a general idea of your beliefs. Please see below and add or remove anything you would like to.

So you went through the slack removal process and you are in your hitting position/launch position (very important position) you are wound up so to speak lots of tension and your first reaction is to rotate the leg/hip to get things going, you need to use that tension to generate force right..... So it starts pulling on the torso or middle of the body, creating tension from left hip to right shoulder, dragging it along (very briefly). As the front leg starts to push back rotation is accelerated and the tension that was created between the upper and lower body can be compressed to accelerate even faster F=m*a???

Is this a fair assessment of your beliefs? I am just going off of your post #859. I just need to know your thoughts so I can try to highlight the differences and follow back up with what I believe is a more efficient way of swinging.

Feb 16, 2015
South East

I am going to post my reply since I already got it worked up before you had a chance to answer my last question to you. I figure it may spark some good discussion either way since it states my believes regardless of yours. So there is really no need to answer my questions concerning your beliefs if you don't want to.

Most amateur swings are focused on compression (the concentric load). The issue with Concentric loading vs Eccentric loading is that Concentric loading isn’t nearly as efficient as Eccentric and not as stable either, not to forget that it produces less force overall also. Before I get ahead of myself I'm not saying that compression isn't involved but it is typically the main focus in the swing and IMO it should be the other way around. I can understand why though, you have removed all the slack and your body is wound up/tension-ed up it feels good to just compress it all together but again it isn't the most efficient or stable way. My beliefs are the following.

As the hitter gets into the hitting position/launch position part of the body is tension-ed up (The Fascial Lines). Notice how the front shoulder works down and in during the forward move (typically by striding). IMO that is reciprocal movement to counter the pelvis moving forward in a linear fashion. That movement allows tension to be created across the front of the body from the front hip to the rear shoulder and across their back from the left shoulder and back to the rear hip. The spine serves as the anchor point for this tension and the hands/arms can probably be considered an anchor point as well. So once this is complete the engine is ready to go.

During that movement some slack may have been developed across the front side, from the left shoulder to the rear hip (I find that the best hitters don’t have much if any). When the time comes to step on the gas. The middle starts to go/fire using the developed tension across the body leveraging the SSC that were established from the loading. As the compressing starts the slack, if any, is being removed across the body from the left shoulder down to the rear hip. As the engine keeps compressing, the tension across the body increases and starts pulling on the pelvis. The pelvis in return is pulling on the rear leg/foot. If the rear leg/foot are acting as anchors, which IMO they should be, the tension across the body continues to increase. This tension is the braking system in action. There is two ways to create this anchor 1.) holding the ground 2.) Scissoring……… This tension is what creates stability in the swing much like a Tensegrity model, compression and tension working in unison. At impact or just before impact you want it to be as tight as a guitar string and in return the body will be unbelievably stable like a brick wall. The braking allows for more force to actually be transferred into the bat and compressing the ball much better which is the goal. Think of it as a Force Couple maybe????? (I am not sure if I am understanding Force Couple correctly though and if it makes any sense here. I am hoping you or Patar may be able to help me out with my understanding of that).

The issue with firing the hips is that tension is never developed because it produces slack and not tension in the swing nor is it as controllable are nearly as efficient as it can be.

I will use the “HLP” for instance. I believe that theory is very close but the issue is the rear leg driver. It introduces slack into the system because of the way the rear leg is used. So the counter they came up with is????? You may have guessed it “Lateral Tilt”. The lateral tilt allows tension to be created in the upper body but at the cost of direction IMO.
Which is why you so many of their hitters head fly backwards IMO. They are trying to develop that tension but they have a lot of slack to remove first.

The spinal engine (moving from the middle) keeps direction in the middle of the field where it should be IMO.

Fire away with the questions LOL...... Just remember I am not a biomechanics expert just a dad trying to help my DD.

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
I am going to post my reply since I already got it worked up before you had a chance to answer my last question to you. I figure it may spark some good discussion either way since it states my believes regardless of yours. So there is really no need to answer my questions concerning your beliefs if you don't want to.

Most amateur swings are focused on compression (the concentric load). The issue with Concentric loading vs Eccentric loading is that Concentric loading isn’t nearly as efficient as Eccentric and not as stable either, not to forget that it produces less force overall also. Before I get ahead of myself I'm not saying that compression isn't involved but it is typically the main focus in the swing and IMO it should be the other way around. I can understand why though, you have removed all the slack and your body is wound up/tension-ed up it feels good to just compress it all together but again it isn't the most efficient or stable way. My beliefs are the following.

As the hitter gets into the hitting position/launch position part of the body is tension-ed up (The Fascial Lines). Notice how the front shoulder works down and in during the forward move (typically by striding). IMO that is reciprocal movement to counter the pelvis moving forward in a linear fashion. That movement allows tension to be created across the front of the body from the front hip to the rear shoulder and across their back from the left shoulder and back to the rear hip. The spine serves as the anchor point for this tension and the hands/arms can probably be considered an anchor point as well. So once this is complete the engine is ready to go.

During that movement some slack may have been developed across the front side, from the left shoulder to the rear hip (I find that the best hitters don’t have much if any). When the time comes to step on the gas. The middle starts to go/fire using the developed tension across the body leveraging the SSC that were established from the loading. As the compressing starts the slack, if any, is being removed across the body from the left shoulder down to the rear hip. As the engine keeps compressing, the tension across the body increases and starts pulling on the pelvis. The pelvis in return is pulling on the rear leg/foot. If the rear leg/foot are acting as anchors, which IMO they should be, the tension across the body continues to increase. This tension is the braking system in action. There is two ways to create this anchor 1.) holding the ground 2.) Scissoring……… This tension is what creates stability in the swing much like a Tensegrity model, compression and tension working in unison. At impact you want to it to be as tight as a guitar string and in return the body will be unbelievably stable like a brick wall. The braking allows for more force to actually be transferred into the bat and compressing the ball much better which is the goal. Think of it as Force Coupling maybe????? (I am not sure if I am understanding Force Coupling correctly though and if it makes any sense here. I am hoping you are Patar may be able to help me out with my understanding of that).

The issue with firing the hips is that tension is never developed because it produces slack and not tension in the swing nor is it as controllable are nearly as efficient as it can be.

I will use the “HLP” for instance. I believe that theory is very close but the issue is the rear leg driver. It introduces slack into the system because of the way the rear leg is used. So the counter they came up with is????? You may have guessed it “Lateral Tilt”. The lateral tilt allows tension to be created in the upper body but at the cost of direction IMO.
Which is why you so many of their hitters head fly backwards IMO. They are trying to develop that tension but they have a lot of slack to remove first.

The spinal engine (moving from the middle) keeps direction in the middle of the field where it should be IMO.

Fire away with the questions LOL...... Just remember I am not a biomechanics expert just a dad trying to help my DD.

A great line told to me today was, "Finding your deceleration tells you where you accelerate." It is attributed to Tony Baldwin of U of Georgia.

As much as we want engine, we need brakes just as much. Otherwise it's just drag.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
A great line told to me today was, "Finding your deceleration tells you where you accelerate." It is attributed to Tony Baldwin of U of Georgia.

As much as we want engine, we need brakes just as much. Otherwise it's just drag.

Nice, I like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
More wood on the fire o_O

- Mike Trout Says To Swing Down...Should You?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598