Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
You are under the impression that it's being said the legs are not used. They just aren't used in the way people think. RHE is created bc the pelvis is moving away from the rear leg. Much like walking. Not bc the rear leg is pushing into RHE. The legs are in a secondary role.

Look at the Bustos clip. Her back knee is not advancing until right before the pause. Her pelvis is moving away from it. Her rear leg then snaps under. The pause in the clip is what is considered close to a "hitting position" @Bonesaw

Look at WW's daughter. Same moves.

jmA9iD.gif

The knob is getting yanked out from under the barrel as the hands work to chop down on the ball. The more you get the hands right the more your legs learn to quiet down. The chop down / hammer action of the wrists is certainly counter intuitive. But, the better you get at it the more the hands get flat faster to allow the release from radial to ulnar. I don't know if the centripetal force is a factor keeping the barrel from coming over the top. That is out of my pay grade. But, it feels exactly like you are chopping down. It just never does.
The RHE is due to limitation in range of motion. Why does a hitter put pressure on the instep of the back leg? How far can the rear hip extend the leg rearward? At some point the leg can't extend rearward any more. It is literally attached at the hip!
Same for the front leg. It gets extended, pushing the pelvis rearward and at some point can't extend any more. ROM.
The pelvis is turned by the extension of both legs.
As the pelvis is turned, the legs reach their limit of ROM and no more rotation is possible.
The pelvis isn't being moved away from the rear leg, it is being moved by the rear leg via hip extension. The very word extension tells it all.
The rear leg gets dragged forward by pelvic rotation because the front leg still has ROM after the rear leg reaches it's limit.

WW's daughter has a pretty swing, but she doesn't use her legs much so there's no power. She swings as though someone told her "Do not use your legs. They will cause problems in your swing." I wonder who might have done that?

The bat rotates because the rear hand is used as a fulcrum against which the front arm applies leverage to the bat. The ONLY way rotation happens because of torque. There is no other mechanism to create rotation. NONE!
The barrel doesn't come over the top because the rear hand fulcrum is applying downward resistance to the upward pull of the front arm.
Centrifugal force is a result, not an action. The barrel rotates down because of the upward force created by the front arm, offset from the center of mass of the bat and because of the fulcrum of the back hand.

May 12, 2016
Barry’s bat doesn’t move until the middle goes, middle is driving the rotation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree you anchor the back foot.. but it's the way that Bonds rear leg goes down and in that muddies the water a little for me

May 12, 2016
I think anchor is a way for folks to remove the rear leg as a driver, although I believe if one sequences correctly its a no teach.
Seen major improvements in my own DD after she started anchoring her back foot.. this was at the end of the season last year. I just find the Bonds video a little confusing

Jul 29, 2013
Yep she's using her legs, hips, hands, etc.. but the drill was used to isolate the obliques (core) to swing and allow everything else to be the result..
Then the drill is a bad one because there is very poor isolation of the obliques...... ahem.....she's still using her legs as the power source. Obvious because of her pushing the rear leg against the ground to start pelvis rotation and then stabbing the front foot down to powerfully rotate the pelvis and launch the barrel. Her but spins in the seat as she uses the legs. There is no appreciable separation of shoulders from pelvic alignment that would be indicative of oblique muscle contractions.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Below is a video of a hitters progression through learning to move from the middle...... I fast forwarded through the drill segments to shorten the video. I probably shouldn’t even be posting this since it is information from a paid subscription but o well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2014
The RHE is due to limitation in range of motion. Why does a hitter put pressure on the instep of the back leg? How far can the rear hip extend the leg rearward? At some point the leg can't extend rearward any more. It is literally attached at the hip!
Same for the front leg. It gets extended, pushing the pelvis rearward and at some point can't extend any more. ROM.
The pelvis is turned by the extension of both legs.
As the pelvis is turned, the legs reach their limit of ROM and no more rotation is possible.
The pelvis isn't being moved away from the rear leg, it is being moved by the rear leg via hip extension. The very word extension tells it all.
The rear leg gets dragged forward by pelvic rotation because the front leg still has ROM after the rear leg reaches it's limit.

WW's daughter has a pretty swing, but she doesn't use her legs much so there's no power. She swings as though someone told her "Do not use your legs. They will cause problems in your swing." I wonder who might have done that?

The bat rotates because the rear hand is used as a fulcrum against which the front arm applies leverage to the bat. The ONLY way rotation happens because of torque. There is no other mechanism to create rotation. NONE!
The barrel doesn't come over the top because the rear hand fulcrum is applying downward resistance to the upward pull of the front arm.
Centrifugal force is a result, not an action. The barrel rotates down because of the upward force created by the front arm, offset from the center of mass of the bat and because of the fulcrum of the back hand.
Bolded above. Yes, we have been saying that for some time now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478