Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You haven't been reading then.
The legs for support and the core for power? That's backwards.
Sit in a chair, immobilize your legs, swing a bat.
Unit then your idea is just an unproven theory.
Strap your butt in a chair, bolted to the ground....should be enough support for you to show your core power.
Take the legs out of it.
Jump in the air and swing a bat.....jump straight up.... and show us all.....
Come on.......
Leave no room for interpretation or argument. .....
Waiting........

the legs are used Bobby. There just used in the opposite direction than what you think. Your example of swinging in a chair is exactly how it works. The top half is going one way while the bottom is going the other way.

look at the top half go towards the pitcher while the bottom half goes the opposite way.

1590804847510.gif

1590804946653.gif

reciprocal movement creates force and direction. It’s counter rotation against itself. Like when you walk or run.

if we ‘use’ the legs as rotators. There will be no counter rotation. It would be all same side rotation. No cross body reciprocal movement.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is not directed at you Mr. TDS just my thoughts:

I think the real issue is people attributing actual movements to the "feel" of the "core pattern". The obliques dont rotate the pelvis. It just doesn't work that way. You can feel like your core is rotating your hips. But they're not. They're just contracting and your hip rotators are rotating them. Just like when you do a leg raise. Your abs contract, and are getting a great workout, but your hip flexors bring the legs up. The abs/obliques end up flexing the torso at the very end of the leg raise, if they are strong. (Posterior tilt).

I totally understand the success in teaching the core pattern. I've used that tiger video for a while in my golf game. I think it can be applied to softball which is why I posted it originally. The hips are so fast and strong that they will almost never be slow in an athlete. Its a great feel to get the sequence right.

Its much better to focus on bat path and getting the bat going early. But what if you don't have an athlete? Or if you want to gain some bat speed like Phil mickleson? Its nice to know how things really work.

And that's what we are talking about; what actually happens. The hips are responsible for quite a lot of what happens in a swing.

In my opinion a good simple saying of how the swing works is "hips swing the torso, torso swings the arms".

Here's my main man swinging his torso with his hips to throw some weight up. Ww, Ill look for some shirtless gifs for next time, I know you like those.

View attachment 18036

The two movements are not even close dynamically or in force production or in planes of motion. Gotta get better examples. These don’t make sense in hitting. Let’s just leave it at that.

Feb 25, 2020
The two movements are not even close dynamically or in force production or in planes of motion. Gotta get better examples. These don’t make sense in hitting.

They don't make sense to you. The guy who doesn't want to much bat speed. And whose obliques extend his hips.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is not directed at you Mr. TDS just my thoughts:

I think the real issue is people attributing actual movements to the "feel" of the "core pattern". The obliques dont rotate the pelvis. It just doesn't work that way. You can feel like your core is rotating your hips. But they're not. They're just contracting and your hip rotators are rotating them. Just like when you do a leg raise. Your abs contract, and are getting a great workout, but your hip flexors bring the legs up. The abs/obliques end up flexing the torso at the very end of the leg raise, if they are strong. (Posterior tilt).

I totally understand the success in teaching the core pattern. I've used that tiger video for a while in my golf game. I think it can be applied to softball which is why I posted it originally. The hips are so fast and strong that they will almost never be slow in an athlete. Its a great feel to get the sequence right.

Its much better to focus on bat path and getting the bat going early. But what if you don't have an athlete? Or if you want to gain some bat speed like Phil mickleson? Its nice to know how things really work.

And that's what we are talking about; what actually happens. The hips are responsible for quite a lot of what happens in a swing.

In my opinion a good simple saying of how the swing works is "hips swing the torso, torso swings the arms".

Here's my main man swinging his torso with his hips to throw some weight up. Ww, Ill look for some shirtless gifs for next time, I know you like those.

View attachment 18036

Bonewsaw, when these guys speak of hitting position what is the purpose ? Do you think they are trying to rotate/thrust the hips from that position to swing the bat ?

Feb 25, 2020
Bonewsaw, when these guys speak of hitting position what is the purpose ? Do you think they are trying to rotate/thrust the hips from that position to swing the bat ?

Is this the hitting position your talking about?20200413_213130.jpg

Feb 25, 2020
driveline says the same. nobody else on here agrees with these examples either. If you haven’t noticed.

Driveline didnt say the same thing. You just think they did. Driveline said the obliques rotate the torso. And do also do some tilting of the pelvis along with the GLUTES AND HAMSTRINGS. You even said you have no clue as to why its important.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Driveline didnt say the same thing. You just think they did. Driveline said the obliques rotate the torso. And do also do some tilting of the pelvis along with the GLUTES AND HAMSTRINGS

I heard it. I know what it said. They said PPT is responsible for the pelvis moving up aided by the hammies and glutes. Sounds like a core movement. The hips seem to be reactive in their scenario. Mine as well.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is this the hitting position your talking about?View attachment 18039

No its hands back while the hitter is leveraged (both legs)fyb.

KIInqE1.gif

7DvIasn.gif

cISMzGj.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28