Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Power in the legs is massive but extremely slow.

Hitting is like tug of war, but tug or war over a short distance with limited time. You have to go fast!!!!

Fast over short distance = core. Slow and powerful over long distance = legs.

If I gave you a rope and put you in fyb position and said you need to move the rope 2 feet forward as fast as you can you would ANCHOR you back foot and yank like the heavens with your core.

If on the other hand I said you need to get this rope 10 feet forward and time doesn't matter, you would stabilize your core and use leg drive to move you forward.

Powerful but slow, core stabilized legs powering.

Fast and what happens in the swing.

Just what makes us think bulky muscles are 'fast'

Apr 11, 2015
not quite. As we have learned from others lately. Anatomical knowledge doesn’t tell half the story when hitting. it’s the sequence of movements and the intent of the anatomy that matters.
Which is exactly what myself and your video are doing, and saying. Thanks again for that video btw.

Active hip extension is bad. An active rear leg is bad. Active hip rotation is bad. Active IR is really bad. Really anything active with the lower half is bad. What we want is a stable/reactive lower half so the upper can rotate around it but use what is in the lower half to help power the swing reactively.
Hey look, we agree again, and I’ve said numerous times over the years and recently that the rear leg/hip is reactive. It’s just not reactive to the obliques/core/torso just like your video states as well. You just haven’t learned what they’re reactive to, and if you refuse to learn…that’s on you…not me or the video. Which btw, thank you again for it.

the young kid you had doing bucket ‘throws‘ is an active lower body and is not good.
Nope, it’s reactive to the timing of the throwing of the bucket (as are the obliques/upper body that the lower body stretches that will allow them to contract later in the sequence). Pretty easy really if you understood what your video was saying. Did I mention that that’s a really good video btw, and thank you for it yet?

If you want to say the hips go first, ok. But it’s reactive. And no real speed or power gain has been taken advantage of so, congratulations you are good at seeing the hips move first on video !
No, no, no…congratulations to you for actually starting to understand what moves what, when, and where. If it was the fine video you found that taught you that…awesome! I’m just thankful that you posted it for others to learn from also.

No good pro is trying to open up that hip. What you’re seeing is slack removal. Some more than others. Mobility levels differ.

the swing is all about slack removal from both ends. it’s always crossbody and opposite actions. Since the core is smack dab in the middle of the body, that’s where all the action is,

everyone forever has wanted the legs to pull the hips and the hips to pull the hands around to propel the barrel to the ball. That’s drag. it’s the opposite stretch after the concentric contraction that is oh so important and gives the ‘late bat speed’ that is needed at the pro level. It’s eccentric. if the lower is active there is no chance for the last stretch to become a reality.
Dang, right when I thought you were making progress, there you go making stuff up and projecting your misunderstands to "everyone" else…that your fine, fine video doesn’t support, and you’re again trying to make up your own anatomy that doesn’t jive with the video…or anyone else who’s ever taken the time to actually read some A&P books, and/or take some courses wrt the subject matter.

speaking of things like hip extension or the hips moving first etc is truly useless within a good sequence.

sorry mud, I think you’re way off.
Except that your very own excellent video that you posted says exactly the opposite, and what you call “useless”, it says that “It’s a serious strength requirement to thrust the hips, and rotate the pelvis and torso violently, while also maintaining posture throughout the swing”.

So if the “…the pelvis rotates independently of the torso…”, and “It’s a serious strength requirement to thrust the hips, and rotate the pelvis and torso violently…” what is it that’s “thrusting the hips” to “rotate the pelvis and torso violently”? C’mon, you can say it…it’ll only hurt for a little bit for a short time, but after that you’ll be set free of all of the other made up stuff anyone else is trying to sell you.

Man, I just can’t tell you enough how grateful I am to you for finding, and posting that wonderful video that proves just how spot on I’ve been all along, and that I’ve saved for posterity. Now whenever you or any other of your crew start up again, all I need is to post the video, and really not type anything more than…”Listen to the video”. “Thank you, thank you” if I haven’t said so previously.

Apr 11, 2015
It's not surprising some are having trouble figuring this out. Activating the obliques correctly is not easy especially for older people sitting at a laptop all day...

I have college players trying to figure it out. But, eventually they start to feel it (bottom hand swings are really good) even as their body keeps wanting to use other methods of moving the bat as they have been doing forever.
Actually they probably haven't been using their hips forever, just like you didn't in the swing and movements you sent me the other week.

The stripe on the leading edge of jerseys move the same in both pitching clips and Bustos below

jmA9iD.gif

Yes, in all of them, the stripes on the shirts move the same, following the stripes on the shorts in all of the clips. Was looking for that Ueno clip from behind that SB uses that shows the hips leading the upper half and arm but couldn't find it.

So thank you also for finding videos that support what I've been saying for so long...too bad you stopped listening. But maybe you'll listen to the guy in this one that W=w found for me and that might eventually convince you....

Apr 11, 2015
When Bonds, Carp and others speak of hitting position they aren't referring to being one legged so that the rear leg/hip can fire (RHE)..

KIInqE1.gif
3wLHMQV.gif
Goes back to different movement patterns that both work but some feel the need to blend into one.

J1c5pt0.png
I3lbNro.gif

VS
OyFgaOG.gif

When all else fails...let's go to the video....

...it too says you're wrong.

Bonds is doing, and "Carp" is prepping to do what it says in the video...you're twisty, turny, pull his shirt apart with his shoulders and arms, upper half one-piece gate-swinger demo dude is not.

Wow, this is so much easier now...thank you again W=w for the great find!

Nov 16, 2017
Um, you realize you're not helping your cause with those videos right? None of them are doing what this video says should happen...

...nor is that what any of these hitters (or any other HL hitters) are doing....
4NjJIqN.gif
qPVJPx7.gif
u3CMg15.gif
VyPOGHT.gif
3inYg0k.gif
k4xI3PF.gif

The first movement that TDS is showing is exactly what is happening in the swing. That image shows you the action isolated. Yes the hip opens but it opens to make room for the swing to continue the rotation. Something you don't see in the isolated example. The hips are not the powersource nor the legs.

See: Joey Meyers

Apr 11, 2015

The first image that TDS is showing is exactly what is happening in the swing. That image shows you the action isolated. Yes the hip opens but it opens to make room for the swing to continue the rotation. Something you don't see in the isolated example. The hips are not the powersource nor the legs.

See: Joey Meyers

Didn't watch the previous video I presume? So in your opinion, what..."rotate(s) the pelvis and torso violently"?

EDIT: "The first image that TDS is showing is exactly what is happening in the(se) swing(s).....
ImjlalW.gif
wPshzji.gif
E0oSlHf.gif

So if you want your hitters to swing like these above, and not like the game swing in my previous post...by all means, swing with your upper half, dragging your hips behind it not using your legs in the swing....I ain't gonna stop ya.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Which is exactly what myself and your video are doing, and saying. Thanks again for that video btw.

Hey look, we agree again, and I’ve said numerous times over the years and recently that the rear leg/hip is reactive. It’s just not reactive to the obliques/core/torso just like your video states as well. You just haven’t learned what they’re reactive to, and if you refuse to learn…that’s on you…not me or the video. Which btw, thank you again for it.

Nope, it’s reactive to the timing of the throwing of the bucket (as are the obliques/upper body that the lower body stretches that will allow them to contract later in the sequence). Pretty easy really if you understood what your video was saying. Did I mention that that’s a really good video btw, and thank you for it yet?

No, no, no…congratulations to you for actually starting to understand what moves what, when, and where. If it was the fine video you found that taught you that…awesome! I’m just thankful that you posted it for others to learn from also.

Dang, right when I thought you were making progress, there you go making stuff up and projecting your misunderstands to "everyone" else…that your fine, fine video doesn’t support, and you’re again trying to make up your own anatomy that doesn’t jive with the video…or anyone else who’s ever taken the time to actually read some A&P books, and/or take some courses wrt the subject matter.

Except that your very own excellent video that you posted says exactly the opposite, and what you call “useless”, it says that “It’s a serious strength requirement to thrust the hips, and rotate the pelvis and torso violently, while also maintaining posture throughout the swing”.

So if the “…the pelvis rotates independently of the torso…”, and “It’s a serious strength requirement to thrust the hips, and rotate the pelvis and torso violently…” what is it that’s “thrusting the hips” to “rotate the pelvis and torso violently”? C’mon, you can say it…it’ll only hurt for a little bit for a short time, but after that you’ll be set free of all of the other made up stuff anyone else is trying to sell you.

Man, I just can’t tell you enough how grateful I am to you for finding, and posting that wonderful video that proves just how spot on I’ve been all along, and that I’ve saved for posterity. Now whenever you or any other of your crew start up again, all I need is to post the video, and really not type anything more than…”Listen to the video”. “Thank you, thank you” if I haven’t said so previously.

You’re pulling a mud again.. 😆😆

first it tells you what’s responsible for the PPT. Then just goes on to say that the hips GET thrusted violently etc. hahaha. It Already told you how!!! Gosh Mud !! I don’t know how many times you have not listened fully to a tutorial or came up with your own ‘perspective’ on things. This happens all the time. I used to think you had a comprehension problem. But I know now your just slippery when wet !!

It says ‘ as the torso rotates violently as a result of the obliques contracting .. ‘ this also pulls the pelvis up into PPT’ no one is thrusting the hips !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802