Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
fanboi,

From reading your post to james...

...I get the feeling that all of your punching/swinging is coming from your upper half, w/o applying any leverage w/your lower half. That gets confirmed to me when you ask/state that "Maybe....an open hand slap makes a better path", which all of just a shoulder and arm movement, and doesn't even recruit that much of the torso, and most definitely none of the lower half's hips and legs.

I'm going to share a old clip from a much larger video presentation series that I think is the drill that "james" was describing earlier ("james" correct me if I'm wrong), and I want you to look at where I'm the coach is pointing at, as to what and where the pushing/pulling should be originating at...and then at the very end where the (now 25 y/o RE agent :() grabs on his body as to where he felt the "stretch" happening during the drill.....

Hope that helps some. Note: I understand that the coach hasn't aged since that video...only the student. 😜😊

LOL!!! The poor kid looks like he tore something...you meany!!

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
fanboi,

From reading your post to james...

...I get the feeling that all of your punching/swinging is coming from your upper half, w/o applying any leverage w/your lower half. That gets confirmed to me when you ask/state that "Maybe....an open hand slap makes a better path", which all of just a shoulder and arm movement, and doesn't even recruit that much of the torso, and most definitely none of the lower half's hips and legs.

I'm going to share a old clip from a much larger video presentation series that I think is the drill that "james" was describing earlier ("james" correct me if I'm wrong), and I want you to look at where I'm the coach is pointing at, as to what and where the pushing/pulling should be originating at...and then at the very end where the hitter (now 25 y/o RE agent :() grabs on his body as to where he felt the "stretch" happening during the drill (you might have to click on the image if it's still or black for it to play).....

....upon release of the knob, the punch (swing in this case) comes forward w/o the hitter having to think about throwing his arm(s) or hands at anything as you can see in the clip.

Hope that helps some. Note: I understand that the coach hasn't aged since that video...only the student. 😜😊

This is great! thanks. I will give it a go the next chance we get.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is great! thanks. I will give it a go the next chance we get.

Just make sure you use the obliques from a leveraged position and avoid firing the rear hip instead.

OyFgaOG.gif

Firing the rear hip is no different then abaf.

knzdEtX.gif

Jul 29, 2013
I agree that the centripetal force is large due to the rotational acceleration but it is a resultant force, not an acting force.
I have a real problem with his statement that the centripetal force parallel to the bat is applying torque. Torque is only created by force applied perpendicular to the bat handle, not aligned to it.
I think the centripetal force would also exert a backward force on the arm causing it to slow.
Finally, his theory uses gravity as the force and a game swing relies on force created by the batter in more than one direction.
But I could be wrong.

Jul 29, 2013
In the process of her swinging the bat...all of them.

When I talk about or reference the hips lead(ing) the hands, I'm talking about that in reference to the kinetic chain of the event or body movement of swinging the bat, and not them just being ahead of or leading in space or distance during the event of it..

IOWs, in the above referenced clip, the hitter never used or applied her hips in the actual movement(s) of swinging the bat. Yes, she did turn them, and used them to run through the box, but she never used them to stop and leverage the swing against.

Thusly, w/o said leverage against her hips (stopped in forward travel) turning the lower obliques to pull the swing around from the bottom up....she's basically just using her hips to run forward on, and when she does decide to swing the bat, it's then that the obliques get activated to twist/turn her torso/shoulders, as she pulls down with her arms to bring her hands, bat, barrel down to the ball....but she never leverages the upper half (torso) against the lower half (hips and legs).
Looks to me like she gets her hips turned and then her shoulders catch up as the swing. She stretches her obliques when her hips turn open against closed shoulders, and then contracts them to realign hips and shoulders. Every time she makes contact with the ground, she's using her legs for momentum to maintain the turn of the hips.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I agree that the centripetal force is large due to the rotational acceleration but it is a resultant force, not an acting force.
I have a real problem with his statement that the centripetal force parallel to the bat is applying torque. Torque is only created by force applied perpendicular to the bat handle, not aligned to it.
I think the centripetal force would also exert a backward force on the arm causing it to slow.
Finally, his theory uses gravity as the force and a game swing relies on force created by the batter in more than one direction.
But I could be wrong.
Wow! I think you read the whole thing. The calculus (variables) involved for each individual hitter to produce maximum bat speed would be impossible to figure out. As pattar stated "the double pendulum motion is actually chaotic. " Control the chaotic at its optimal and you will have arrived.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
For a more simple person between the ears, like me.

- 2 Simple Ways To Improve Your Bat Path!

Jul 29, 2013
Wow! I think you read the whole thing. The calculus (variables) involved for each individual hitter to produce maximum bat speed would be impossible to figure out. As pattar stated "the double pendulum motion is actually chaotic. " Control the chaotic at its optimal and you will have arrived.
But the double pendulum is repeatable in the first phase especially with the locked wrist pin to control the initial direction of the rod, per the article....makes sense.
I still don't see centripetal force and the resulting centrifugal force as extending the barrel. Torque is the force.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee