Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I would set the pulley at the height of your hands at launch position
Yes this would be a good swing emulation ... am I'm not saying it's a bad idea, however it's also not necessary. You can set the pulley low(waist) as well and it would still be equally as effective. Still using the same muscles. Same thing with the medicine ball, no need holding it up by your shoulders.

I like the medicine ball more personally.. so versatile and dynamic. Overhead slams, Diagonal overhead slams, side throws etc.. excellent workout.. and the kids find it lots of fun as well

May 3, 2014
Yes this would be a good swing emulation ... am I'm not saying it's a bad idea, however it's also not necessary. You can set the pulley low(waist) as well and it would still be equally as effective. Still using the same muscles. Same thing with the medicine ball, no need holding it up by your shoulders.

I like the medicine ball more personally.. so versatile and dynamic. Overhead slams, Diagonal overhead slams, side throws etc.. excellent workout.. and the kids find it lots of fun as well
I agree that the pulley exercise is not necessary except that maybe she can identify and coordinate the movement. I would use very light weight at first if you doing it.

May 12, 2016
I agree that the pulley exercise is not necessary except that maybe she can identify and coordinate the movement. I would use very light weight at first if you doing it.
I completely agree with that.. I just wouldn't use it(at the shoulder specifically) for a pure power/strength building initiative. You can build those muscles from a much supportive stance(waist). But I love it for identification and coordination.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can you tell me what the force is that causes the bat to release...extend....propel forward..... rotate....... because I see the weight of the bat as a resistance to release. Doesn't the very term "release" insinuate a build up of energy? What's the source? How is is stored? I can't see "lag" as the storage of anything but forward momentum and that only reaches 30mph is as measured by various bat sensors. So where does barrel speed come from?
A double pendulum swing experiment: In search of a better bat
www.physics.usyd.edu.au › ~cross › 29. DPendulum.pdf

Jun 8, 2016
i like this. So does this mean, if you don't actually create that barrel 'release' and 'whip', you are essentially missing out on the distal part of the double pendulum and in effect have made it a single pendulum with no available increase in acceleration?
the double pendulum motion is actually chaotic..which is an appropriate way to describe my kid's swing at times...

Apr 11, 2015
I don't see it. Which frame(s) are the obliques leading the hips?View attachment 17810View attachment 17811View attachment 17812View attachment 17813
In the process of her swinging the bat...all of them.

When I talk about or reference the hips lead(ing) the hands, I'm talking about that in reference to the kinetic chain of the event or body movement of swinging the bat, and not them just being ahead of or leading in space or distance during the event of it..

IOWs, in the above referenced clip, the hitter never used or applied her hips in the actual movement(s) of swinging the bat. Yes, she did turn them, and used them to run through the box, but she never used them to stop and leverage the swing against.

Thusly, w/o said leverage against her hips (stopped in forward travel) turning the lower obliques to pull the swing around from the bottom up....she's basically just using her hips to run forward on, and when she does decide to swing the bat, it's then that the obliques get activated to twist/turn her torso/shoulders, as she pulls down with her arms to bring her hands, bat, barrel down to the ball....but she never leverages the upper half (torso) against the lower half (hips and legs).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Hey Mud, i had tried some of these feels and really couldn't figure it out. I couldn't reconcile the movements in my head to relate to the swing with a bat. Maybe a different type of punch or an open hand slap makes a better path. I think i will go back to the iso drill that has been mentioned but use the towel.

I think @RollingHard mentioned holding the students shoulders/delts, however i think there must be a benefit to hold onto something like she would be holding the bat. I think that will help the feel. Thanks.
fanboi,

From reading your post to james...
Hey James, so we tried this drill yesterday and the first thing that happens was a pain in her lead shoulder. So I had her hold it and felt the same thing. Front arm pulling. I am not a good hitter so it isn’t surprising.
...I get the feeling that all of your punching/swinging is coming from your upper half, w/o applying any leverage w/your lower half. That gets confirmed to me when you ask/state that "Maybe....an open hand slap makes a better path", which all of just a shoulder and arm movement, and doesn't even recruit that much of the torso, and most definitely none of the lower half's hips and legs.

I'm going to share a old clip from a much larger video presentation series that I think is the drill that "james" was describing earlier ("james" correct me if I'm wrong), and I want you to look at where I'm the coach is pointing at, as to what and where the pushing/pulling should be originating at...and then at the very end where the hitter (now 25 y/o RE agent :() grabs on his body as to where he felt the "stretch" happening during the drill (you might have to click on the image if it's still or black for it to play).....

....upon release of the knob, the punch (swing in this case) comes forward w/o the hitter having to think about throwing his arm(s) or hands at anything as you can see in the clip.

Hope that helps some. Note: I understand that the coach hasn't aged since that video...only the student. 😜😊

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802