Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Bat path seems to be a high priority around here. So what is a good bat path? Is it flat like Ted Williams and Barry Bonds or vertical like Mike Trout and Miguel Cabrera ? Is bat path better if it’s more north to south or east to west?

Are there different cues for a north/south guy than an east/west guy ? Are there even any differences ?

What makes and breaks a good path ? What advantages/disadvantages do both have and don’t have ?

Nov 16, 2017
Bat path seems to be a high priority around here. So what is a good bat path? Is it flat like Ted Williams and Barry Bonds or vertical like Mike Trout and Miguel Cabrera ? Is bat path better if it’s more north to south or east to west?

Are there different cues for a north/south guy than an east/west guy ? Are there even any differences ?

What makes and breaks a good path ? What advantages/disadvantages do both have and don’t have ?

Pitch height will determine whether the path appears to be north\south east \west. The key word appears. The fact of the matter is the first movement of the bat to bat lag position is a 100% South to North. Once at bat lag then a East West chop occurs.

I have seen clips of Bonds swinging at lower balls that look almost exactly like Trout.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Pitch height will determine whether the path appears to be north\south east \west. The key word appears. The fact of the matter is the first movement of the bat to bat lag position is a 100% South to North. Once at bat lag then a East West chop occurs.

I have seen clips of Bonds swinging at lower balls that look almost exactly like Trout.

1589516151927.gif

1589516555916.gif

one appears to be much more N/S than the other. Basically same location.

Jun 8, 2016

Angle of the bat at launch (more vertical like Trout vs more horizontal like Soto) would probably dictate this. In terms of advantages/disadvantages it would be interesting to see if the N/S hitters are considered more low ball hitters vs the "E/W" guys who might prefer balls middle up...not sure.

Nov 16, 2017
Angle of the bat at launch (more vertical like Trout vs more horizontal like Soto) would probably dictate this. In terms of advantages/disadvantages it would be interesting to see if the N/S hitters are considered more low ball hitters vs the "E/W" guys who might prefer balls middle up...not sure.

Dang pattar, you beat me to it. You posted that while I was typing haha.

May 3, 2014
If knob direction is created before the barrel flattens (or is already flattened) then I think that could be the difference.

Bonds untip and flattens - same as Williams. Votto does not flatten before the knob is directed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802