Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Pshhhhh. We're busy berating each other here. You need to explain your one leg extension thing! You left me hangin. How can you say both arent extending.

And yes Ww daughter has a nice swing!
Thought I did here...... and here.....

Also, check out the pic you posted I was responding to...and at how the hitters "RHE" side has no crease in his pants along the inguinal line due to that one leg is extending that hip...and then how there's a crease along the inguinal line on the opposite side of his pants, due to the slight flexion that's happening in that hip at that moment in time in question.

That help?

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
You still can't do it.
You are under the impression that it's being said the legs are not used. They just aren't used in the way people think. RHE is created bc the pelvis is moving away from the rear leg. Much like walking. Not bc the rear leg is pushing into RHE. The legs are in a secondary role.

Look at the Bustos clip. Her back knee is not advancing until right before the pause. Her pelvis is moving away from it. Her rear leg then snaps under. The pause in the clip is what is considered close to a "hitting position" @Bonesaw

Look at WW's daughter. Same moves.

jmA9iD.gif

The knob is getting yanked out from under the barrel as the hands work to chop down on the ball. The more you get the hands right the more your legs learn to quiet down. The chop down / hammer action of the wrists is certainly counter intuitive. But, the better you get at it the more the hands get flat faster to allow the release from radial to ulnar. I don't know if the centripetal force is a factor keeping the barrel from coming over the top. That is out of my pay grade. But, it feels exactly like you are chopping down. It just never does.

May 3, 2014
The barrel starts moving pretty much the same time as the white on her lead side starts pulling back. Sync that action up.

jmA9iD.gif

Same action

4YZpY5.gif

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Three simple frames throw your whole "isolate the obliques" theory right out the window.

Your hitter literally lifts/thrusts herself up off the chair with her legs....
View attachment 18045
...as she uses them to "thrust the hips, and rotate the pelvis and torso violently"...as W=w's video should have taught you by now...

....because you can tell that she's not even contracted her obliques yet...as she has no PPT, and no anterior to posterior tilt in those three frames as of yet, that the video tells you the "ab crunch" of the obliques is responsible for.

Those three frames show the rear leg "thrust the hips" into RHE, as that "rotate(s) the pelvis and torso violently"....as "it stretches the cores muscles such as the interior, and exterior obliques"....that connect the hips, and the ribs that connect to the shoulder girdle, and that "stretch"/connection pulls the shoulder girdle around...as the arms and hands connect the shoulder girdle to the bat...that pulls it around as seen in those three simple frames.

Now that paragraph directly above wasn't written for you or your crew, as I know that none of you care about any of the "technical" accuracies of the swing...but rather that description is for others still trying to determine what actually makes sense to them in the actual workings of the swing or not.

But if you really want to "feel" what "isolate the obliques" would be....have her repeat the drill w/o moving her feet, knees, or legs at all...and then have her swing the bat with only the muscles above her pelvis. That would be a real "isolate the obliques" for the hips drill for your hitter(s).

Complete BS mud !!! Yes she rotates some on the chair but its an effect of isolating the obliques, its the purpose of the drill.. Your RHE is a pattern that works but doesn't play well with folks attempting to become leveraged fyb... Your rear leg/hip pattern is no different then AJ's.. When will you acknowledge the difference.

cFnROQQ.gif

nwVbXUn.gif

FUYc2gj.gif

wQHyOQ3.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes I think we see the same thing. I would like to see a still of the hitting position to avoid confusion though. If it's before the one of bonds I asked about its probably right up the oblique/"down to" alley.

The hips "thrust" to move the torso back And exert force on the bat when its in closer to the pitcher than the body.(The handle!)

This does not minimize the importance of everything before it though.

I dont think hip extension drives it. I think its the biggest(most important) power adder though.

Like in correa if he doesn't gain 28 mph between the stills, say he only gains 8 mph, he has a decent career on his high school team.

But he gets 28 mph and has the opportunity to play at the highest level.

I say this because I and, I'm sure, countless players get to 57 mph at a similar position but top out at 65-70. Something is different there.

I've had some pretty big jumps in bat speed recently(my hi went from 75.8 to 83.6). And I know it is not easy. Or quick.

I think down to + getting the body in a position to extend(and extend violently) is the best. Some call it FYB. Contract against extension is great.

The Piazza gif is the best.

Thanks Bonesaw !!

This pattern leverages all available resources vs the pattern where RHE leverages the rear side of the body (catchers side) and the front sides (pitchers side) job is to catch and react to RHE.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yelich, connecting the dots like no other on this pitch.. He has no chance if he doesn't beat the pitcher to his position of leverage.. He is correct with his statement about being on time.. "Most think they are on time but they're not".. Being on time is what allows hitters to feel swinging "down to" leveraging all available resources.

mpxG2MQ.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes I think we see the same thing. I would like to see a still of the hitting position to avoid confusion though. If it's before the one of bonds I asked about its probably right up the oblique/"down to" alley.

The hips "thrust" to move the torso back And exert force on the bat when its in closer to the pitcher than the body.(The handle!)

This does not minimize the importance of everything before it though.

I dont think hip extension drives it. I think its the biggest(most important) power adder though.

Like in correa if he doesn't gain 28 mph between the stills, say he only gains 8 mph, he has a decent career on his high school team.

But he gets 28 mph and has the opportunity to play at the highest level.

I say this because I and, I'm sure, countless players get to 57 mph at a similar position but top out at 65-70. Something is different there.

I've had some pretty big jumps in bat speed recently(my hi went from 75.8 to 83.6). And I know it is not easy. Or quick.

I think down to + getting the body in a position to extend(and extend violently) is the best. Some call it FYB. Contract against extension is great.

The Piazza gif is the best.

When you first came on here you wanted the legs to rotate and drag the pelvis and upper to the finish.
you didn’t know what the middle was or how it worked.

you’re getting better here. You acknowledge the obliques. You just need to realize it comes before hip extension and HE is reactive. It’s something pros are not trying to do. It’s a result. I’ve even told you how to get it. If one extends to early, direction of the oomph is gone. It must be reactive. The core must pull the hips tight while the posterior oblique sling resists to create the oomph your looking for. A CROSS BODY MOVE. Otherwise direction is lost and your a long drive champion instead of Phil Mickelson. No directional force. Just uncontrollably force. Like I told you these actions are full body not one piece and another piece only. The swing is a sequence of balanced (equal and opposite) actions to create what you see. Here’s Barry saying what I’m saying.

Jul 29, 2013
Sitting in a chair to isolate the obliques is a great drill and do it all the time with my students.

oZLHBLw.gif
SHE'S USING HER LEGS!
No legs please.
Get the feet off the ground.
Can't do it with obliques as power source.
Waiting.....

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
SHE'S USING HER LEGS!
No legs please.
Can do it with obliques as power source.
Waiting.....

Yep she's using her legs, hips, hands, etc.. but the drill was used to isolate the obliques (core) to swing and allow everything else to be the result..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45