Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Cool. Rear hip extension.

What happens when the rear hip extension reaches it range of motion in terms of not being able to extend any further?
I'm assuming you're asking if it can, or does stop "extending" forward at some point in time...which if that's the question..."yes it can, and will at times".

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Continually repeating it doesn't make it anymore less incorrect than it was all of the other however many numerous times you've tried to push it off as some pseudoscience fact or truth.

What are you, your crew's Minister of Propaganda?

Fortunately that didn't work back then, so I trust that most will see right through you, and know that it's not gonna work here either.

Good luck with that though, but at least one of y'all is starting to ask good questions, and is indulging in intelligent conversation again which is much more of a pleasure to have than with someone so caught up in agendas the he insists on repeating misnomers about things that have never been said or brought up.

Of course you didn’t try it.. truth hurts. This has nothing to do with science and more to do with movement. Whatever. It will come out with the wash eventually. See ya around Mud.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
So Tewks and Antonelli both talk ttb because there sequence was abaf. I agree with both of them that the coaching in the big leagues wasn't good. Do you thing ttb with an abaf pattern will play in the bigs ?

p2jZ4n5.gif

Why not try to duplicate what these guys are saying but from a leveraged fyb position.

mO4nVqR.gif

J1c5pt0.png

wAqMgMV.gif
Maybe you can put a little presentation or dissertation why everyone should swing like Mr. Cruz and how you would teach the same.. He is the #1 home run hitter over the past decade.

- Nelson Cruz | Home Run Swing | Slow Motion | Baseball Highlights

May 12, 2016
Maybe you can put a little presentation or dissertation why everyone should swing like Mr. Cruz and how you would teach the same.. He is the #1 home run hitter over the past decade.

Down to from a leveraged position with very very good posture. Nothing forced in that swing.. nice

May 3, 2014
I'm assuming you're asking if it can, or does stop "extending" forward at some point in time...which if that's the question..."yes it can, and will at times".
Again, cool. Rear hip extension range of motion reached. Given we are talking about the Cabrera clip in your opinion what would happen to the rear leg when rear hip extension range of motion is reached and his weight is not as back as it was when the swing started?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Its been discussed over the last few years as to how these guys move and swing.. Just do a little digging and ask questions.. For starters learn how to contract the obliques from a leveraged position if your serious.

I3lbNro.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

4UzzfVL.gif

Apr 11, 2015
Again, cool. Rear hip extension range of motion reached. Given we are talking about the Cabrera clip in your opinion what would happen to the rear leg when rear hip extension range of motion is reached and his weight is not as back as it was when the swing started?
That should never happen.

The rear hip should not be started into extension, until the hitter doing so to start to actually launch the bat...
OaeEzpU.gif

Take notice of Barry's swing on the right. He doesn't (attempt to) start to extend his rear hip until he's ready to "umph!" the bat with it if you will. I hope you can "feel" (see) that same slight pause and "umph" right after it with the lower body as I do. If not, then we kind of have hit a snag in the discussion...but my fingers are crossed, and I have faith. 🤞🙏🙂

You can actually test that out for yourself. Start out as you usually would, but instead of continuing along in one continuous flow into the swing....pretend that you got beat on an OS pitch, and stop your forward movement, but stay coiled/loaded/whatever in the rear hip (you shouldn't have extended it yet), and "back" as we say.

From this new position you (and Barry on the right) are in, in order to launch/swing the bat immediately from there do you...
a) just "Move the area around your belly button first"? or
b) feel yourself "umph" yourself up and forward (into the imaginary ball) with your rear leg and hip socket "extension" from that well lowered position the waiting on the ball had put you (and Barry in the clip) into?

I'll answer first if you'd rather, as I've played with that exact same thing many times over to get what "I" feel Barry is doing. But I bet you pretty much already know that, and thus which option above that I feel happens for me to get off that stopped "back" side.

May 3, 2014
That should never happen.

The rear hip should not be started into extension, until the hitter doing so to start to actually launch the bat...
OaeEzpU.gif

Take notice of Barry's swing on the right. He doesn't (attempt to) start to extend his rear hip until he's ready to "umph!" the bat with it if you will. I hope you can "feel" (see) that same slight pause and "umph" right after it with the lower body as I do. If not, then we kind of have hit a snag in the discussion...but my fingers are crossed, and I have faith. 🤞🙏🙂

You can actually test that out for yourself. Start out as you usually would, but instead of continuing along in one continuous flow into the swing....pretend that you got beat on an OS pitch, and stop your forward movement, but stay coiled/loaded/whatever in the rear hip (you shouldn't have extended it yet), and "back" as we say.

From this new position you (and Barry on the right) are in, in order to launch/swing the bat immediately from there do you...
a) just "Move the area around your belly button first"? or
b) feel yourself "umph" yourself up and forward (into the imaginary ball) with your rear leg and hip socket "extension" from that well lowered position the waiting on the ball had put you (and Barry in the clip) into?

I'll answer first if you'd rather, as I've played with that exact same thing many times over to get what "I" feel Barry is doing. But I bet you pretty much already know that, and thus which option above that I feel happens for me to get off that stopped "back" side.
I can't answer anything until I understand the bold above.

Apr 11, 2015
I can't answer anything until I understand the bold above.
Cool, thanks for asking.

Do you remember "HYP" from BBF years ago? He came up with (or at least I first heard it from him) that the swing is "Linear to rotational" to describe it. Most folks immediately thought he was talking about "Nike Swoosh", and that he had it all bassackwards. Ha!

But in reality, he was spot on in that he was describing the movement of the rear hip...in that it moves "linearly" until it turns "rotationally" to launch the swing. Now yes, what he said was "rotational" instead of "extension" which we talked about privately, but the three word cue was solid in getting hitters to think about working the rear hip correctly, and how to use it....and why you see his name "Duncan", as one of the names in "my camp".

Btw, since you did ask me about Cabrera, and I answered you with Bonds...I'm in the process of trying to take the Cabrera clip you used, and trying to break out the "hip extension" in that one if that might help.

EDIT: Ah hell, I get it now, the wording was also all messed up, my bad...does this help at all?

"The rear hip shouldn't be started into extension, until the hitter is doing to so...in order to actually start to launch/swing the bat..."

Or even easier, don't extend the rear hip until you're ready to launch the bat at the ball....IOWs, "hit the ball with your rear hip". 😄

EDIT EDIT: Here's the Cabrera clip's rear hip extension portion...
ezgif.com-resize.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802