Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Can you describe exactly what the movements are that make "myofascial swings" different than what is conventionally thought to produce bat speed?
It is funny that you mention this. I believe you were involved in a recent conversation revolving around bat speed in Shawn's thread concerning the blast data that was captured during the Correa swing posted but maybe you weren't I can't remember who was all involved. Anyway there was discussion going on about how the bat speed made a big jump right before contact.

To be honest I have know idea if the fascial slings help generate more bat speed or not but you will probably be able to answer the question for me going off of my answer below.

Short answer: In theory if the hitter moves correctly (uses middle as the engine) and maintains some type of anchor on the backside (consider the rear leg& pelvis to be dead weight) when the middle starts to rotate the fascia will start stretching (MOI of the dead weight???). Once the brakes are applied just before contact the energy from the bungee cords are released and transferred into the blow. Would this type of thing cause a late increase in bat speed?????

Do you know any drills that focus on using the facial slings?
Just learn how to move from the middle leg and pelvis are dead weight.

Edit: You need to understand something. If you believe that the body is like a Tensegrity model it doesn't matter what swing theory you use the Myofascial system plays a role in the swing. The swing theory that I have been discussing the last couple of days just leverages the system better than others.
See embedded answers

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
See embedded answers
How does one learn how to "move from the middle leg and pelvis are dead weight." Is this info on the internet. Does someone reach it? Is it pilates? Is this just some glorified interpretation of hip extension?
Sounds all rather vague. Kind of like your post about the guy who said, "They have it figures out." ..... no who "they" are or what they "figured out," or where the info is.
Is this like some baseball/softball illuminati or is there actual info available?

Feb 25, 2020
nothing new. It’s been there the entire time. It’s just not common sense.

Nice vidya. Sounds just like tiger!

The astros hitting coach must preach that "knob past the ball". correa echoes the same things he does there with the bat.

Hopefully the MLB gets their act together and gets going. We need some new gif's and stuff.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I have been trying to stay out of this thread and just read. I do this drill but in a lot different manner. As many of you know, I teach "point the knob --deliver the barrel." So, when I do, what might be considered this drill, I toss tennis balls in the area of the arm pit and have my hitters try to hit that tennis ball with the end of the knob. I would say that that knob never travels more than 3 inches. Try it and see if you like it. If not, ...:giggle:

CB,

If I remember correctly you were a core driver guy, correct?

I know that your DD was very successful in her career..... since she was so successful, would you mind posting a video of her from up close...... I would like to see how her movements match up with some of the things that have been discussed in the last few days..... if you do not want to post her swing I totally understand and would not take offense to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Yes, I am a core driver guy. I think that there are so many things going on in this thread that things get confused as to the core. Here is an example of what I believe:
Anatomy-Core-Muscles.jpg

I don't have much video now. The computer I had all of her video on crashed and I have not been able to get any of the info off of it. I lost years of her growing up. As you might remember, I stated that our goal was for her to have a high level swing and not a MLB swing. She tried to match Pujols' swing as her model. She never got there though she did well. I posted video on one other website of her swing when she turned 16. I'll go see if I can retrieve some of those swings from the backside that will show you her progress to that point.

As an FYI, I coach/coached PCR (Posture, Connection and Rotation) as it as originally intended by Nyman. It was never a hitting system. I was simply a way to view a swing. I still ask myself those questions when I look at a hitter. What does the posture, connection and rotation look like and what drills do I have to help a hitter advance. It is too simplistic for most. I'm just not that smart.

Thanks CB,

I have a feeling that she developed good crossbody tension with her movement pattern.

Jun 8, 2016
I just received a phone call from the HC I work under now. She was once my AC and so, we are a great team together. She mentioned that she has purchased a "blast" for her dd. I don't have any experience with blast and she mentioned that right away she felt good about the purchase since it measures PCR. LOL BTW, this young lady is going to be our school's next stud player. She has hit with me since she was 7. She has amazing power, hits for high average and defensively is seriously fast with a plus arm. In fact, in track, she is a state qualifier in 8th grade. Too bad she didn't get to play this spring due to the virus.
:unsure:

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I just received a phone call from the HC I work under now. She was once my AC and so, we are a great team together. She mentioned that she has purchased a "blast" for her dd. I don't have any experience with blast and she mentioned that right away she felt good about the purchase since it measures PCR. LOL BTW, this young lady is going to be our school's next stud player. She has hit with me since she was 7. She has amazing power, hits for high average and defensively is seriously fast with a plus arm. In fact, in track, she is a state qualifier in 8th grade. Too bad she didn't get to play this spring due to the virus.

I went to look at the website where I once posted BB's swings at the age of 16. All of the video has been removed. I'll look elsewhere. I have to have stuff on a flash drive somewhere.

That is such a bummer to lose all of that video..... At least you still have the memories stored away in your brain but it is always nice to see them visually as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812