Bat length question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
L
This is where every Dad goes wrong. They spend $$$ on bats instead of fixing the bat drag.

Fixing bat drag lasts a lifetime, and extends careers. A new bat will waste your money and your time, and shorten her career.

Having said that, pick a bat based on weight and balance, then get the longest one of those. Extra length mostly gives you plate coverage.
Lol. Why do you think I got her away from dad (me) and took her to a hitting coach. I played college baseball and many moons ago was a head HS baseball coach that played for the state championship. Even coached a few MLB. Dad wasn’t relating to daughter that acts just like him but a very different player. Never said a new bat would fix anything. Her current bat broke so we bought an Advanced for the first time. I just don’t really understand why you have to swing a longer bat when your 5.3.

Feb 24, 2022
Obviously there are a lot of variables other than just height. My 5'4" 12U daughter swings a 32/22 (balanced weight bat). Instead of moving up to a 33/23 I'm getting a used end weighted 32/22 to give her a "heavier" feel to see how she likes that. We may go up to a 33" at some point, but I don't think she's going to get much taller so I think we can wait until high school before considering it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Lol. Why do you think I got her away from dad (me) and took her to a hitting coach. I played college baseball and many moons ago was a head HS baseball coach that played for the state championship. Even coached a few MLB. Dad wasn’t relating to daughter that acts just like him but a very different player. Never said a new bat would fix anything. Her current bat broke so we bought an Advanced for the first time. I just don’t really understand why you have to swing a longer bat when your 5.3.

If you're paying a hitting coach, and the hitting coach says get a 33", why are you asking us?

A hitting coach is like your lawyer or doctor. If you don't believe what they tell you, it's time to get a new one. ;)

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
If you're paying a hitting coach, and the hitting coach says get a 33", why are you asking us?

A hitting coach is like your lawyer or doctor. If you don't believe what they tell you, it's time to get a new one. ;)
Well because I don't have to agree and don't at the moment. Pretty simple. I don't like doctors or lawyers. Would you happen to be a doctor or lawyer?

Also, moving to an Easton bat and adding an inch could be two ounces.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The velocity of the barrel has both a rotational and translational component so (again with the caveat that everything else is the same..) the distance increase would be less than that factor of 33/32.
Yes, but she'll be adding an ounce of weight also if maintaining a drop 10 so add the extra mass to the equation also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812