Bat length question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD swings a 32 inch bat and it is the correct length on all the charts. Her hitting coach is telling her to start swinging a 33 because it will add distance and she can handle it since her exit velocity is good. My DD is a sophomore in HS.

12 year old buddies daughter that is taller was just told by a college coach to start swinging a 33 inch bat also. She normally uses a 32 inch bat.

Both that live in different states are being told that the inch bat will add 20 feet. Not sure about this.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Let’s look into it, If the sweet spot is 1 inch longer or farther away from the hands, then bat speed would increase. A good bat speed radar reading shouldn’t measure just the end of the bat. Setpro did that, measured the end. However it is measured (blast sensor, I measure 2 ways) you should increase batspeed by lengthening the distance between your hands and sweet spot.

Jun 8, 2016
Assuming everything else is equal bat speed due to the rotational motion of the bat would increase by around a factor of 33/32

Jan 28, 2017
DD currently swings a 32-22. Exit speeds in the low 70 and sixties.

She is very strong but has some bat drag at times. Five foot three and one hundred thirty five pounds.
She is fifteen.

New computer and the five, six, apostrophe, question mark, and diagonal not working. Geez!

Jun 8, 2016
DD currently swings a 32-22. Exit speeds in the low 70 and sixties.

She is very strong but has some bat drag at times. Five foot three and one hundred thirty five pounds.
She is fifteen.

New computer and the five, six, apostrophe, question mark, and diagonal not working. Geez!
She shouldn’t have an issue with a 33 if she wants to go that route. My skinny 5’5’ 100 lb 12 YO swings a 32 drop 10.

Aug 20, 2020
Assuming everything else is equal bat speed due to the rotational motion of the bat would increase by around a factor of 33/32

So you’re saying about a 3% increase (in bat speed)? A 100-foot hit would become 103 feet; a 200 foot hit would become 206? Or would a 3% increase in bat speed result in a greater (or lesser) increase in ball distance? I’m not sure exactly how bat speed correlates to ball distance.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
So you’re saying about a 3% increase (in bat speed)? A 100-foot hit would become 103 feet; a 200 foot hit would become 206? Or would a 3% increase in bat speed result in a greater (or lesser) increase in ball distance? I’m not sure exactly how bat speed correlates to ball distance.
The velocity of the barrel has both a rotational and translational component so (again with the caveat that everything else is the same..) the distance increase would be less than that factor of 33/32.

Feb 25, 2020
I think the MOI formula has a "distance from axis^2" in it. So i think it may be more than 3% increase

Jun 8, 2016
I think the MOI formula has a "distance from axis^2" in it. So i think it may be more than 3% increase
That is why I said everything else being the same (I was including MOI..) You can have two bats of different lengths and have the same MOI if the mass distribution is different.Also technically 33/32 isn’t the exact number since the sweet spot isn’t at the end (31/30 maybe ?) Point was pure length alone doesn’t do much..

Edit: Like I said above, if she can handle it she should swing it. All of this is just theoretical drivel 😉

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee