Bat for mushy balls?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Ok, another thread mentioned how at tournaments they are noticing that the balls are “mushy”.

So.... DD claims that she can feel that when a bat is new, she can feel that the ball doesn’t compress the bat as well as an older well broken in bat.

So, if this is true, and the new bat has “stiffer” barrel as opposed to a “softer” barrel, is one better than the others for mushy balls? I swear I read a thread about this on a slow pitch site years ago. And yes, I’m serious, lol

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
ball-compression.jpg

Jun 19, 2016
Aluminum is best for RIF balls. Not sure if that is ball you are using. I'm general...a bat that flexes less will be best for mushy balls.

Feb 1, 2017
For my daughter, the mizuno power carbon got much higher exit speeds than a well broken in demarini on older beat up balls. They were close on exit speed with newer softballs. Mizuno still a little higher.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Slowpitch ASA went to a 52/300 years ago, That's when most bats went to the thinner barrel and inner tech to hit them better.
Now, there are certain balls better than others, but no "mush" stuff I have seen on real fields.

Unless the kids are small and using RIF balls, shouldn't be any real diff in the ones they use

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The high end bat designers are going to try and optimize the trampoline effect in their bats for commonly used ball compression ratings. If you have balls which are far from the norm your situation will be "off design" and there probably won't be much advantage in using one bat vs. another.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee