Bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Bad arm bar is from losing the hips early. Good arm bar is from adjusting to a pitch further away from the perceived arc in space and or time. Can be approach related as well. You can bring the arm back into flexion as well.

When you bar the front arm it creates more tension in the wrist. Imo it’s related to an out to in approach.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s an isometric contraction of the shoulders and lats, scaps and other adjoining muscles that creates the arm against the chest while rotating to release the barrel. Less on the out more on the in. Imo anyway.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Bad arm bar is from losing the hips early.

I think i agree to most of what you say, just curious about bolded above. Is there no other way to have bad arm bar? Dead hands for example? Turn the torso, the elbow flattens without staying connected. I just struggle saying the hips cause it when they are not directly connected, you have a whole torso in the middle of both. If the hips go early and you are still connected, not sure you bar.

Jan 28, 2017
It’s an isometric contraction of the shoulders and lats, scaps and other adjoining muscles that creates the arm against the chest while rotating to release the barrel. Less on the out more on the in. Imo anyway.

If you lose compression with the front armpit, I don’t think you can get the correct contractions that you mentioned?

Also, if you arm-bar the you must lose the hips to get the bat over the plate, correct? Chicken or egg

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think i agree to most of what you say, just curious about bolded above. Is there no other way to have bad arm bar? Dead hands for example? Turn the torso, the elbow flattens without staying connected. I just struggle saying the hips cause it when they are not directly connected, you have a whole torso in the middle of both. If the hips go early and you are still connected, not sure you bar.

Yes. I was speaking generally. But other things as well can contribute. Loading the hands early. Outta sequence, Trapping etc etc.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you lose compression with the front armpit, I don’t think you can get the correct contractions that you mentioned?

Also, if you arm-bar the you must lose the hips to get the bat over the plate, correct? Chicken or egg

I think walking away from the hands or pullback or whatever you want to call it creates the compression/contractions. Not saying you can’t start that way.

I meant lose the hips initially at stride. As long as you have your hips, arm bar can be overcome or used imo. Not my style though. I want every adjustment available if needed.

Jan 28, 2017
Walking away from hands- when I say loosing compression, I'm talking about hands moving away from the body. If you scap load and hands come in a little from the loading, not pulling them in you keep compression. Thoughts?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Are the hands being pulled "down to" by the core?

Or dragged by a firing rear side (rear leg/hip) ?

UZSM2ou.gif

rH6QNMn.gif

rN5XIhh.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ever notice Stans head moves forward after foot plant?

1612981298581.gif

and having the hands back at the rear foot isn’t an absolute. Sorry Shawn. That’s style.

1612982236105.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28