Bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Just curious if you like the way his students swings look in the before and after?
disconnect-0.00.00.00.jpg

Like most instructors, he fixes one thing only by breaking another.

He 'fixed' the bat drag by introducing a giant disconnect - the kid must push his front bicep away from his torso.

This is exactly what the Batspeed.com PerfectConnextion gadget does here:
PC_gif_small.gif

I pointed this out when this gadget came out years ago.

And he still didn't fix the initial cause which is opening his hips during the stride.

Not to mention, this drill will more than likely not translate to a good game swing. What happens when he opens his hips and his rear forearm drops during a game swing?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Definitely wasn't. Efastball I know you have a lot of great insight and knowledge but you are making a joke out of yourself with these bat drag posts.
Do you agree with the dry swing advice he is giving to help fix the swing? If so what difference does it make what he calls it?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What is this then? The 34 in the top left indicates it was his 34th homer of the season. Bad angle?

I think you go overboard with the "horrific bat drag" diagnoses.
I concede for the record that if you have any girls that are 6'6" and 245 lbs, bat drag may not be a problem for them.

Jun 8, 2016
I concede for the record that if you have any girls that are 6'6" and 245 lbs, bat drag may not be a problem for them.
Yeah in that case we would be better off giving advice on how now to pull something every 2 weeks and stay off the DL.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Agreed. If these are from a side angle, this is bat drag. A few MLB hitters (out of hundreds) have a frame of bat drag (in some of their swings), but then they overcome their poor leverage position in the next frame and get their hands in front of their elbow.

Here is Youk overcoming his poor leverage initially. He's able to overcome his poor hand leverage (hands behind the back elbow) because he creates additional leverage with the bat head by using the 'tip and rip' (as some call it) method.
youk2.gif

99% of kids do not overcome this sub-optimal initial leverage (hands behind the back elbow).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I am listening to comments though and I see what you are saying.

Many consider bat drag to have occurred only if you don't overcome it, and you drag the bat all the way through the zone through to contact. This is what most kids do, and you don't see this with MLB hitters. So they can't be bat dragging, right?

I am saying here that bat drag occurs initially at the moment of the swing forward phase (toe touch to contact) and continues until it's corrected (by 1% of people), or through to contact (99% of people).

I have never thought of it in these terms before, but this is probably a good way to describe it.

May 12, 2016
I am listening to comments though and I see what you are saying.

Many consider bat drag to have occurred only if you don't overcome it, and you drag the bat all the way through the zone through to contact. This is what most kids do, and you don't see this with MLB hitters. So they can't be bat dragging, right?

I am saying here that bat drag occurs initially at the moment of the swing forward phase (toe touch to contact) and continues until it's corrected (by 1% of people), or through to contact (99% of people).

I have never thought of it in these terms before, but this is probably a good way to describe it.
I'm just saying you can't just freeze at one frame and say bat drag(it's not really bat drag in this position.. nothing is being dragged IMO).. do you believe the OP's hitter in this thread overcomes the initial bat drag? Or does it continue one throughout the swing?

I know a lot of people on here are trying to duplicate a MLB HL swing.. players like Betts and Tatis Jr. get to this position quite often in their swing. Are you saying that dads should not have their DD's emulate these swings because they can't recover from the initial so called bat drag position?

If you listen to and follow JD's demo you will always get to this position where the elbows lead the hands initially.

1603031615891.png

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If you listen to and follow JD's demo you will always get to this position where the elbows lead the hands initially.

View attachment 19708

As is typical, MLB hitters dont demo their swing the way they actually swing in a game. Here he is per

Notice how he does have some very,very slight bat drag (center of hands behind the back elbow) (but not as much as his demo)

jdbatdrag.JPG

... then he overcomes it very quickly. (center of hands get ahead of the back elbow)
jd.gif

Also notice that he used tip and rip at the start. This is how he used one leverage tactic to overcome the lack of another.

Just think if he could eliminate the frame of bat drag and keep the tip and rip.

He would be Barry Bonds (762 HRs) Maybe a little juice too.
bondstip.JPG

You guys are really making me think. Thank you. Nothing like exercising the old brain.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802