Bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Is the elbow slotting before the bat ever moves a form of bat drag if not to a lesser degree? I think this thread (myself included) is fixed on the definition that the elbows lead the hands. That’s what I though drag was as well. I still think it is but I also think that slotting the elbow without moving the barrel is bad. What is that called if not the initial part of a bat drag? But in this case the hands then stay even with the elbows as the body rotates the whole thing thru and some are not calling it bat drag but i think all agree it is not good.
What I pointed out will more than likely lead to the textbook "definition" of bat drag. I am with @Work=wins on this one with regards "drills" (btw by definition anything other than a game swing is a drill, including dry swings). Feet together (tee and front toss), Happy Gilmore. Do them on a field if possible. If she still needs to learn to use her hands better after this she can do the Braun drill and SNF (tee and front toss). Focus on trying to get the the bat head to move when she launches. At home she can do the dry work @efastball was talking about.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
What I pointed out will more than likely lead to the textbook "definition" of bat drag. I am with @Work=wins on this one with regards "drills" (btw by definition anything other than a game swing is a drill, including dry swings). Feet together (tee and front toss), Happy Gilmore. Do them on a field if possible. If she still needs to learn to use her hands better after this she can do the Braun drill and SNF (tee and front toss). Focus on trying to get the the bat head to move when she launches. At home she can do the dry work @efastball was talking about.

Thanks. My DD seems to start with a stronger grip (wider elbows lining up punching knuckles more than knocked knuckles) but with a loose top hand and when she launches and slots the elbow the grip slips on her top hand and the barrel doesn’t move. I have tried to have her reverse chain from the end of the swing and keep that grip as her starting grip.

She hasn’t had much luck doing drills like feet together or the 5 flaw drill or even the happy Gilmore. I don’t think it is a timing or sequence thing but more specifically the wrong loose grip to start. That’s only for my DD. Others may be spinning the barrel and not turning thru the swing at launch. I had called that leveling which others on the forum said was ok. I think the barrel needs a strong action immediately at launch and not a slow spin leveling.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks. My DD seems to start with a stronger grip (wider elbows lining up punching knuckles more than knocked knuckles) but with a loose top hand and when she launches and slots the elbow the grip slips on her top hand and the barrel doesn’t move. I have tried to have her reverse chain from the end of the swing and keep that grip as her starting grip.

She hasn’t had much luck doing drills like feet together or the 5 flaw drill or even the happy Gilmore. I don’t think it is a timing or sequence thing but more specifically the wrong loose grip to start. That’s only for my DD. Others may be spinning the barrel and not turning thru the swing at launch. I had called that leveling which others on the forum said was ok. I think the barrel needs a strong action immediately at launch and not a slow spin leveling.
I think a lot (most?) of times it is a sequencing issue which is what @efastball is trying to get right with the dry work. That said "dead hands" can be an issue well.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I will admit though I understand the Braun drill better after watching one of those Ron Sullivan videos. I think it is the one with the inside the ball drill he talks about. I do think I will def have DD try that. In my opinion that then goes to the Barry Bonds still with more tilt to hit farther out vs liners to right.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think a lot (most?) of times it is a sequencing issue which is what @efastball is trying to get right with the dry work. That said "dead hands" that can be an issue well.

I am convinced my DD also has sequencing issues I didn’t mean to imply she didn’t but I try to find the most egregious flaw first and go after that. And I agree with eFastball that the bat drag is something to eliminate immediately.

Jun 22, 2019
Tee is the key to making a practice swing and game swing the same. the more cuts they take off the tee the right way, the better, it will put it into muscle memory. When my kids were 10...I had the exact same issue, but just keep hitting and make minor adjustments. Don’t give them too much to think about at a time.

Feb 25, 2020
You keep posting this. It's not from the side, it's at an angle. I posted another shot from the side and he does not bat drag.

What is this then? The 34 in the top left indicates it was his 34th homer of the season. Bad angle?

I think you go overboard with the "horrific bat drag" diagnoses.

Screenshot_20200919-173755.png

May 12, 2016
You guys are nuts, just took a quick look at her swings and she doesn’t have bat drag.
My sarcasm is lost on you :), but this is precisely the point I was making in the other thread. People see elbows leading hands, instant bat drag diagnosis and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28