Bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
stride.gif

stride-0.00.03.71.jpg

Here is her stride. Notice she starts on the yellow line, then goes back to the green line, then only returns to the yellow line.

She has the right idea, she is coiling her hips and shoulders well, but she goes backwards instead of forward as she coils her torso.

When she goes back to the green line, then instead of holding this coil, she opens her hips which is causing most of the bat drag. As soon as you open your hips, you begin the 'swing' and the back elbow drops)

Here she is at toe touch (after stride):
toetouch-0.00.00.00.jpg
Notice:
1) (yellow line) her hips are not level (she is reaching with her front leg to stride, so her front leg is straight at landing - it should be bent) Stride with the back leg.
2) (red line) Her rear forearm is not flat/level (she loses most of the leverage with the bat (another cause of bat drag)

I edited my original post #3 to take these specific details into account

PS, also noticed that, in her stance, her back foot is not pointed straight at the plate, it's pointed slightly back to the catcher. Notice how her back foot moved from the top gif to toe touch (see the leaf in front of the toe?). So, she is not really coiling in as much as you think, she has simply turned her body inward

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Thanks. We’ve done tee work over and over with focusing on hitting the inside of large balls (like volleyballs) to right center as well as with softballs, and she gets that nice inverted triangle from the side view. But in games that knob of the bat still goes up. It seems like 10 year old really struggle with this.

What is her bat weight?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
She is spinning IMO. She doesn’t have anchors in place so tension is never created and lacks connection....... Read through the Twitter thread below, I hope it makes sense to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
View attachment 19668

Hands (yellow) are behind the back elbow (green). Horrific bat drag.

She is setting up to bat drag with first, her back elbow being straight down at the hip. The elbows should form an upside down "V" not a upside down "L". Secondly her back foot is pointing toward the catcher too much. This will limit her backside rotation. First is rotation, not the hands and elbows. Her feet should be parallel and pointed at the plate. There are other backfoot orientations that can help "coil" and emphasize rotation but not yet. If her elbow tucks, her bat head will drop below the hands. I imagine both her elbows are close together before contact instead of a 90 degree angle?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
View attachment 19668

Hands (yellow) are behind the back elbow (green). Horrific bat drag.

This made me go look at slow motion of Miggy and Bregman. At what point is a swing a push swing? My DD has some drag we still need to fix but that requires the hands to stay up front and connected with the torso turn. But curious as some have talked about push swings which I feel must be the exact opposite of a drag swing. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
View attachment 19669

View attachment 19670

PS, also noticed that, in her stance, her back foot is not pointed straight at the plate, it's pointed slightly back to the catcher. Notice how her back foot moved from the top gif to toe touch (see the leaf in front of the toe?). So, she is not really coiling in as much as you think, she has simply turned her body inward

I never got to your post before I posted. You get credit for the back foot. That back foot determines the angle of her coil. Instead of being centered, her coil is toward RF. Just move the back foot, or move it slight pointed toward the first base dugout as she steps into the batters box. She can stand at the back corner, facing at home plate or the 1st base dugout. Step first straight in the box with the back foot, don't move it. Step in with the right foot in a normal orientation pointed at the plate. When she does the "knee-knock" load, she will feel some tension in the back knee. That is good. It will promote a strong rotation. I had a girl on the National Team in Holland and one in the Philippines with this problem. They did not lead, or even rotate at all on the backside. This fixed it. I think the foot correction and a stronger rotation will help her stop trying to pull the bat with the arms.

In the photos below you can see how rotation can contribute to pulling the bat. The barefoot boy might be using a bat that is too heavy. One other issue to look at is her front arm. In the second photo you can see the girls front elbow is collapsed. This is very negative as well and can contribute. All of these things contribute to a slow bat.

I would consider a two drills in combination. First is a command swing drill. Just put balls on a tee, have her go to toe-touch, then you decide when she completes the swing. Vary it.
2nd phase: Stand on a bucket or chair. Repeat the first drill except, drop the balls into the strike zone from a height at arms length. Gradually shorten it up to push her. Make sure the proper elbow angles, 90° is maintained. The back arm pushes the bat head through the ball, it isn't a horse dragging the milk wagon.

Attachments

• Power box 1.jpg
    Power box 1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 17
  • jennahitting.jpg
    jennahitting.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 18
  • BatDrag_001.jpg
    BatDrag_001.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Drag.jpg
    Drag.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20141111_091307.jpg
    20141111_091307.jpg
    819.3 KB · Views: 19
  • BatDrag_002.jpg
    BatDrag_002.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 18
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Op,

your dd is unbalanced and doesn’t shift her weight at the right time. As DRD said, ‘she’s spinning’. This is why she pulls the ball too much. She extends her hips early and comes out of her stance to hit the ball. her handset creates a bit of drag as well.

try a feet crossed drill w the chest over the plate and hands at her shoulder off a tee, middle-middle(this will load the glutes not the quads and will help the ehe).Everything kinda bunches up so she can control the limbs a bit better. Make sure the shoulders and hips are closed at the same angle when starting. Ask for line drives. I would do 20-30. Then ask for her to replicate the feel off smooth toss. Repeat for awhile. Should get her going in the right direction.

her main issue is her weight shift. Walk ups, feet together drills tee drills will help.

cue the JStone drill for the 3,476 time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478