Bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Then put the bat in their hand and pull the elbow up/back a tiny bit. It's almost impossible to drag when the arm is already in that position in load.

Most people misunderstand the point of 'elbow up' and think you are supposed to do this in the stance. It's actually counterproductive for many/most kids. When you coil/load you want to move your arms. If they are already in the right place, then you end up moving them somewhere else.

I would simply ignore where the hands/elbow are in the stance.

Nov 22, 2019
You need video from the first base side. 'Bat drag' means the hands are behind the back elbow.

But, I can tell from this you need to do as I suggested.
1) She waits until the ball is halfway before she 'strides' (it's way, way too late then - the front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway - .400 sec for pitch, .200 sec for 'swing')
2) When she strides, she opens her hips, when she should be closing them.
3) This almost always causes bat drag

Please stop doing 'drills' to fix this. It will just make it worse.

She fhas aced pitchers this fall throwing anywhere from say 25-50mps, should the stride always be as the pitcher releases, even on slower girls?

So is it stride foot stays closed on the foot tap, and then opens on the swing?

Thanks

Feb 25, 2020
Most people misunderstand the point of 'elbow up' and think you are supposed to do this in the stance. It's actually counterproductive for many/most kids. When you coil/load you want to move your arms. If they are already in the right place, then you end up moving them somewhere else.

I would simply ignore where the hands/elbow are in the stance.

Yes I think "high hands" cause alot of problems for young kids as well. You want to be able to pull back into that position not stand there in it. (Hand around shoulder height).

To be clear that position I mentioned should be what they load into, not start at. Imo anyways.

Nov 22, 2019
You need video from the first base side. 'Bat drag' means the hands are behind the back elbow.

But, I can tell from this you need to do as I suggested.
1) She waits until the ball is halfway before she 'strides' (it's way, way too late then - the front foot MUST be down when the ball is halfway - .400 sec for pitch, .200 sec for 'swing')
2) When she strides, she opens her hips, when she should be closing them.
3) This almost always causes bat drag

Please stop doing 'drills' to fix this. It will just make it worse.

Here is some video from the side from a month and half ago. This was the drill she was doing, and then just me pitching with whiffle softballs at the end.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think the volley ball is to much. You TTB, creating force on the handle and not trying to apply force into the ball/contact.

And I don’t see bat drag.

Nov 22, 2019
I think the volley ball is to much. You TTB, creating force on the handle and not trying to apply force into the ball/contact.

And I don’t see bat drag.

Yes, but that’s not her game swing. They don’t seem to match. Her athleticism and timing have just started to work for mid-tier pitchers in games, but the game mechanics are off.

I didn’t think I’d have to ever worry about a bat, as going into this year she would have been happy specializing in just pitching. Then last tournament they stuck her clean-up each game and even with the flawed mechanics she was making consistent contact and driving balls to the outfield. I have a feeling her success will now actually make fixing things more difficult.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Game swing usually breakdown because of timing either too early or too late. They can also breakdown because of swinging too hard and getting out of sequence.
I agree with Shawn, I like the tee swing.

As a suggestion flips from the side focusing on the contact point might help.
Upper body could resist going forward a little bit more

Attachments

• A1223296-3543-4F8A-8FA1-5C338C54B4DA.png
    A1223296-3543-4F8A-8FA1-5C338C54B4DA.png
    369.5 KB · Views: 24

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802