Bat Drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD had lesson last night. He caught her rotating her front shoulder in a little when she loads. Which was limiting her seeing the ball and she was taking a big swing (drag). Easy correction, just going to take tons of bp to get it into muscle memory.

Dec 10, 2008
DD had lesson last night. He caught her rotating her front shoulder in a little when she loads. Which was limiting her seeing the ball and she was taking a big swing (drag). Easy correction, just going to take tons of bp to get it into muscle memory.

Easy , NO. I have been fighting it for awhile now. They look good and then go right back. I would say about 1500 swings later you might have it. Good Luck.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Thanks Mark. Vlads shoulder rotates in and down a little. Hers is rotating straight back and turning her chin/head away from the ball.

May 12, 2008
Counter rotation is a common problem cropping up often with tee work. Sounds like you have it figured. Good.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Keep in mind when the go to separatation at toe touch, they must take the hands straight back about three inches. We tell them think about putting your hands into the catcher face mask. Most kids at posted above rotate to far and roll the back shoulder. I have a device on a PVC pipe that I can stand behind them and have the elbow hit to tell them STOP. Or you can film them showing them what they are doing.

May 12, 2008
Wouldn't that three inches depend on where they started from? I would focus on the upper torso in terms of limiting counter rotation. With the upper torso only slightly limited I'm happy to have them load the scaps/slide the shoulder complex around the rib cage. Photo 10 of 31, Analysis

Dec 10, 2008
What about using a tee like the Equitee to keep the bat head up instead of dropped(immediate feedback). It seems that a tee set higher helps keep their shoulder from dipping also. These things have helped us alot. Now if I can get it in the memory that would help.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Mark. Vlads shoulder rotates in and down a little. Hers is rotating straight back and turning her chin/head away from the ball.

Down and in is correct. Turning horizontally around your spine is wrong. The hands need to stay close to the rear armpit. I like for hitters to hold their hands close to their rear armpit while in their stance like, Williams, Bonds, Chipper, Mantle, Ruth etc.. When they turn their front shoulder down and in from this position, the hands stay at the armpit and the rear elbow naturally pops up, giving the late rear elbow poke that many hitters display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812