Bat change entering 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2021
DD is likely going to forego her 2nd 10U season and head to 12U. She is small-medium height, small-medium build, but very strong with some muscle definition - pretty fit.

She hits for legit power using the old 30/19 Demarini CF7-CF9 bats - often 180-200. Yes, we use them because of their pop, but she breaks them constantly. I’m also very much concerned about that bat’s ability to handle the extra heft of a 12” ball. I feel like they’ll break even more often, which I can’t handle.

My question(s):

With the bigger ball, is this when MOI starts to be more of a factor? Is this when we go -10?

Next, are my precious old CFs sitting ducks, and they’ll be a pile of shark teeth before I can blink?

Last, please send along any advice related to the Ghost and the -10 Demarinis. We’ve done the Ghost thing pretty heavily, but you know… same old story; however, they never mashed in with the fractures like the Demarinis. Should I consider the Ghost as a legitimate option for 12U if I can handle the outer barrel fractures, or am I better of with Demarini -10 or -11? Prism+?

Keeping DD’s physique in mind, any and all advice is greatly considered and appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
My advice is to keep doing what you are doing.

It sounds like it is working.
but not for his wallet it seems. looks like he wants a more durable option. might not be a ghost or a GA (although DDs is going strong with a few shark tooth barely discernable cracks, 50 games plus twice a week BP sessions on it, but never used with machine or heavy balls, still hot with cracks). since for past three+ years, DD has only swung a Ghost or GA (other than machine or heavy balls), fraid I am not much help.

Dec 11, 2010
10u that is hitting 200’ with a cf should keep swinging a cf. Go -10. If she is breaking bats it could be mishits or it could be that we have a true freak of nature here.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you have a BP bat and a game bat? Also make sure you are not hitting cold balls. My skinny DD kept breaking bats too and after making these these two modifications the issue has improved (also moving to a drop 10 probably helped too)

May 16, 2016
Perhaps they break "constantly" because you are using bats that are 7 or 8 years old... You probably should have moved to -10 a long time ago.

My experience, after successfully using CF8 -11 in 8u (30") and 10u (31"), we moved her to a 32" CF9 -11 in 12u, and the magic was gone. That bat was a dud. After about 3 weeks, we are back at the store and she falls in love with a 32" -10 Xeno, and immediately starts mashing bombs again.

My take away... don't buy -11 longer than 31". That -11 CF9 is still in my garage... probably less than 300 swings on it.

Apr 20, 2015
The demarini Fenix is a LOT more durable. Maybe slightly less pop than the CF series but my kid still hits plenty over the fence with it and I've not replaced one ever. She used one in the cage that I got for 50% offand it hit thousands of machine balls this high school season. 6 days a week from March to June and its fine. Feel is very similar to CF so maybe pick one of those up for BP but it only comes in drop 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802