Bat Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2020
My daughter is playing 10u travel softball. I never played baseball, and know next to nothing about softball equipment.

She is 9 1/2 (2010 birth year). 5'2" - 145 lbs. Very strong. Doesn't realize her own strength yet. The girls she plays against are mostly 10, with the pitchers and best players usually being 11 since they are early in year birthdays and throwing around 50-60 mph. When she makes contact, she kills the ball -- hit the fence on the fly in dead center in practice the other night. She has the same challenges as other 9 y/o where she doesn't keep her eye on the ball, pulls out of her swing, and doesn't make contact often enough (even when coaches pitch in practice). Still is mostly arm swinging, so when she finally learns to get her hips into the ball, watch out.

Currently using a 2017 DeMarini CF Zen 30 drop 10. She's usually ahead of the ball, pulling most pitches down the 3rd base line. Some coaches want her to move up to a 32 drop 10. Others 31 drop 10. While another one is adamant to not change bat and keep at 30 drop 10. Some want her to get a Ghost Advanced. Others want her to go to other models.

I took her to swing some bats at Dicks. She says she likes the feel of her bat. It felt more comfortable, but she couldn't describe what that means. Based on the size charts, it looks like she should be able to handle a bigger bat -- but I'm just not sure. The coach that is adamant that she stick with a 30 drop 10 played college ball about 20 years ago.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
It felt more comfortable, but she couldn't describe what that means.

That is a 10 year old girl saying "she likes the way it looks better".... :)

If she is killing it with a 30" drop 10, I'd stick with that for a while. I would not go longer than a 31" for a 10 year old.

May 2, 2017
Stick with what is working............ 31 max but if she likes the 30 get a new bat next year

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
She says she likes the feel of her bat. It felt more comfortable, but she couldn't describe what that means. That comfort is crucial at the plate in a game. Uncomfortable is what is worked on in practice.

Jul 9, 2020
s
She says she likes the feel of her bat. It felt more comfortable, but she couldn't describe what that means. That comfort is crucial at the plate in a game. Uncomfortable is what is worked on in practice.
I was contemplating buying a 31 drop 10 and only letting her use it at practice.

Feb 13, 2020
I agree with everybody else. Comfort is crucial! No matter what bat she is swinging as long as she is comfortable she should stick with it.

Mar 15, 2019
California
If you go based off the attached chart, it recommends a 31" or 32". She is already at a drop 10 so keep with that. But ultimately, it comes down to feel. My recommendation is to see if other players have bats she can try on a real ball out on a field. Then she'll really find out how each bat feels. For my oldest DD, we have tried a dozen bats over the last year and of those found 3 she really liked.

Attachments

• bat-chart-300x248.jpg
    bat-chart-300x248.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28