Basic arm-body synchronization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
That's further down than 9 oclock or 3 oclock and that's probably a curve ball. The hand is more vertical at the 9/3 (righty to 3rd for pitches, such as riseball). And I have looked at multiple pictures (video is blurry or bad angle), often of the same pitcher, and the hand is at 3rd, not the sky. Many of the top PCs in the nation, say it is at 3rd (see RiBa video on this site) so let's stop this silly argument. To the sky is for spinning the ball. A 9 year old does not need to do it.

For once, try to educate yourself on WHY "palm to the sky" is important. No one who has actually read BM's Internal Rotation thread could come up with a different conclusion which tells me you HAVE NOT read it. Have you done the simple drill where you hold your arm out from your body and rotate your palm to the sky and then to the ground and back up to the sky 5x as fast as you can? Your hand will BLUR because this is the fastest action in the human body. Use it to your advantage when pitching.

Palm to 3rd at 9:00 is like taking a three quarters swing versus taking a full swing with "palm to the sky". Why cheat yourself from generating more spin and velocity?

Feb 20, 2012
you mean sequence ? First you say not for advanced pitching then you show advanced pitching mechanics. I don't understand>

Feb 20, 2012
don't you think it might be better if the back foot was more on the toe and the front foot off the ground about a foot at peak circle to get more power?

Feb 20, 2012
Does not look that close to me. Her stride foot off the ground about 2ft before peak circle and she more on her back tow.

Nov 26, 2019
The basic drill that newbies need to do is the "walk through".

This drill is "the drill of drills". Kids do it at 8YOA, and accomplished pitchers still do the drill. (I do not know how many times my DD has done this drill. She did it every time she warmed up, and every time she practiced. I suspect she has done this drill literally thousands of times. So, you might as well get your child started now...)

The drill is simple...the pitcher stands one or two steps behind the pitching rubber. She then walks forwards. As she crosses the pitching rubber, she throws. *BUT* she keeps her push off foot (the right foot for a right handed pitcher) up for some time after she throws. For newbie pitchers, she should keep her push off foot (her right foot for a rightie) up until the catcher throws the ball back to her.

[video=youtube_share;kK2opycNSOI]

Do you say this is the one to prioritize because it helps prevent the weight shift? E.g., keeping the push off foot up makes it impossible for them to get "torso heavy"/out of balance, or else they'd fall on their face?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you say this is the one to prioritize because it helps prevent the weight shift? E.g., keeping the push off foot up makes it impossible for them to get "torso heavy"/out of balance, or else they'd fall on their face?

Right...that is the main benefit for pitchers.

With the walk through, the pitcher is moving toward the target faster. So, the flaws in her motion are more exaggerated. The pitcher can feel when she is in balance and when she is out of balance without the coach or dad saying anything.

It is a great tool.

Amanda Scarborough was kind enough to do a video of how to do the drill a few years ago at my request. It was kind of funny...the pitchers do this drill so much they forget about it. She had no idea people might be interested in it.

Nov 26, 2019
Right...that is the main benefit for pitchers.

With the walk through, the pitcher is moving toward the target faster. So, the flaws in her motion are more exaggerated. The pitcher can feel when she is in balance and when she is out of balance without the coach or dad saying anything.

It is a great tool.

Amanda Scarborough was kind enough to do a video of how to do the drill a few years ago at my request. It was kind of funny...the pitchers do this drill so much they forget about it. She had no idea people might be interested in it.

Aweseome. Thank you! Coached my first season at a school without really any pitching. I tried recruiting pitching coaches, former players, former college teammates, you name it, but kind of knew I needed to get little bit of pitching experience myself (penance for a career of screaming, "JUST THROW STRIKES!" from the outfield, as though pitchers weren't trying...lol). So I started learning/taking a handful of lessons for the past two years, knowing we'd struggle to find unpaid volunteers willing to help. I'm hooked for life now, both as a "pitcher" and a coach. Just wish I would've started before being almost 40.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2