Basic arm-body synchronization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
Great thread Sluggers,

I don't want to see this get over complicated but I have to ask. If ball facing third is good at 9, where does facing the sky come in? Would this be considered a more advance move, personal preference or body type? As I have said, don't want to over complicate or cause a big debate but some clarification would be appreciated. I know what Bill teaches, I also know what BM like to see. I believe that with young girls, keeping them from pushing, should be the key early on. I like you almost tried to break my dd at an early age because she was not pushing. Now that she is getting older finding more speed and better spin are at the forefront and every little bit helps.

I was thinking the same thing, dont want to overblow this and become a hitting tech fiasco flame war :rolleyes: Is this an absoulte or personel preferance at 9?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good IR involves rotation of the radius over the ulna. The easiest way to track the rotation is to look at the thumb. The thumb has to be on the third base side of the ball at release. For good IR, the thumb should be on the 1st base side of the ball when follow through completes. (Yes, I know that no forces are exerted on the ball after release. The follow through indicates whether the forearm was rotating at release.)

If the ball is down at 9, then the forearm will not rotate at release. The pitcher will most likely have the dreaded "hello elbow" finish. If the ball is up at 9, then it will be difficult (perhaps impossible) to get full extension of the arm at release.

So, yes, the ball has to face 3B at 9.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't want to see this get over complicated but I have to ask. If ball facing third is good at 9, where does facing the sky come in?

BM stated in the IR thread that "palm to the sky" position at 9:00 is the most critical position in fastpitch.

The reason it is so critical is that it allows the maximum amount of arm rotation possible to generate optimum spin and velocity to the pitch. IMO, getting the palm to the sky is an ideal position but most pitchers fail to achieve this position and are more like "palm to 3rd base" at 9:00. They can still pitch effectively with the palm to 3rd base but are not maximizing their potential.

If you read (or reread) post #4 below you will get your answer:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/1348-internal-rotation.html

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
According to BM, the ball is "more up than facing third" at 9...so, it is neither facing completely up nor facing completely toward 3B.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Wait.....I'll be more clear guys.........Instead of you hearing it from a middle man.......

If YOU need, or are looking for a compromise.........At MINIMUM the palm needs to be more up then sideways for even the most basic fundamental I/R delivery mechanics.......

Please don't put me in any category that believes that somewhere "between palm sideways and palm up" can achieve the same results as PALM UP............Those are NOT MY WORDS........

I don't need, nor do I desire a compromise.........I want the MOST LOAD I CAN GET........I STRIVE for PALM UP at 9:00........If you are working toward that goal........You will get the most load available whether you "get it all" or not........

So.......The questions gets asked: "Is it ok to have the palm facing 3rd at 9:00?"..........

It's BETTER then palm down.......That's for darn sure.........But it ain't 1/2 as good as palm up!

Palm up is what you should be striving for IMO........

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
So.......The questions gets asked: "Is it ok to have the palm facing 3rd at 9:00?"..........

It's BETTER then palm down.......That's for darn sure.........But it ain't 1/2 as good as palm up!

Palm up is what you should be striving for IMO........

I love it!!!! Got to add a few extra words or "I love it!!!" won't be enough words for this post to post. ;)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It seems like anywhere from 9-11 o'clock is within acceptable range for plant. Touch might be a bit earlier. I like plant to be around 9:55 ;)

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Does anyone have an opinion on Escobedo's mechanics? She is an incredible pitcher, but honestly her mechanics baffle me. Watching her on the Pac12 Networks, she looks like she never opens her hips. It's as if her shoulder is so loose that she can windmill without getting open. Of course, the only view you get on TV is from behind so it's probably an optical illusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802