Basic arm-body synchronization

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2012
Wait.....I'll be more clear guys.........Instead of you hearing it from a middle man.......

If YOU need, or are looking for a compromise.........At MINIMUM the palm needs to be more up then sideways for even the most basic fundamental I/R delivery mechanics.......

Please don't put me in any category that believes that somewhere "between palm sideways and palm up" can achieve the same results as PALM UP............Those are NOT MY WORDS........

I don't need, nor do I desire a compromise.........I want the MOST LOAD I CAN GET........I STRIVE for PALM UP at 9:00........If you are working toward that goal........You will get the most load available whether you "get it all" or not........

So.......The questions gets asked: "Is it ok to have the palm facing 3rd at 9:00?"..........

It's BETTER then palm down.......That's for darn sure.........But it ain't 1/2 as good as palm up!

Palm up is what you should be striving for IMO........

For 50 years I have been involved in fastpitch softball. I met Eddie Feigner, King and his court back In 1965 when he was throwing 85mph and had the best rise I have ever seen. He could throw blindfolded from 2nd base and strike you out. His hand faces 3 at 9. I believe that getting the hand under the ball too much at 9 would cause difficulty in loading. After studying over 50 of the top men and women pitchers in the world I don't see getting under the ball that much as you say.

Feb 20, 2012
It seems like anywhere from 9-11 o'clock is within acceptable range for plant. Touch might be a bit earlier. I like plant to be around 9:55 ;)

Ahh, you the one who would like to get your DD with me to see what I know. I have all the books and pamphlets signed by Feigner. He taught me how to throw and grip a rise ball. I used to talk to him a lot before he passed away back in 2003 trying to get him to come and do a clinic at CE but the owner didn't want to put up the money to get him there so it never happened. He said that only a very few girls had a true rise ball that floats instead of a fast spinner rise that goes up quickly. He said in his book "what little I know about Fastpitch" was his motto.
Eddie claimed he was once clocked at 104 mph from 1946 to 1995 18million attended his games. He had total strike outs of 132 thousand won 8,270 of 9,650 games 238 perfect games 930 No hitters
pitched to 14,400 batters blindfolded. I also studied Jimmy Moore of Fastpitch Fanatic 3 times world champion. He has all the knowledge a pitcher needs to be level 5.

Feb 20, 2012
The most common mistake by a young pitcher is prematurely shifting their weight forward. That is, her torso moves forward and over her front foot. For a rightie, the front foot would be the left foot.

There are several problems with the pitcher shown, but the most obvious is that at release her entire front torso is over her left foot, rather than centered between her left and right feet.

The way you do the analysis is to identify the problem at release, and then work backwars to see where the problem started. So, at 6, she her torso so that it is over her left foot. At 9, the torso has shifted forward. At 12, the torso is centered. So, somewhere between 12 and 9, she is leaning her torso forward rather than keeping it back.

Also, note that the ball is down at 9, indicating that she will get little IR on the ball when she throws.

Ok lets see now. She has a good start on her pitching motion. Some of the mechanics are good. what she does is collapsing her front side a little like you said causing her weight to go forward. She is coming down on top of ball in back of her shoulder and her arm is not aligned on her hip during snap release with the elbow facing inward and the hand outward not behind the ball. Her throwing shoulder is also forward with her weight shift. Her arm is not bent behind her shoulder causing her not to be able to use her elbow.
I might as well get into the analysis and give my opinion.

Feb 20, 2012
The basic drill that newbies need to do is the "walk through".

This drill is "the drill of drills". Kids do it at 8YOA, and accomplished pitchers still do the drill. (I do not know how many times my DD has done this drill. She did it every time she warmed up, and every time she practiced. I suspect she has done this drill literally thousands of times. So, you might as well get your child started now...)

The drill is simple...the pitcher stands one or two steps behind the pitching rubber. She then walks forwards. As she crosses the pitching rubber, she throws. *BUT* she keeps her push off foot (the right foot for a right handed pitcher) up for some time after she throws. For newbie pitchers, she should keep her push off foot (her right foot for a rightie) up until the catcher throws the ball back to her.

[video=youtube_share;kK2opycNSOI]http://youtu.be/kK2opycNSOI[/video]

You know you are on this board so much I would love to see your DD's pitching motion.

Jun 18, 2010
For 50 years I have been involved in fastpitch softball. I met Eddie Feigner, King and his court back In 1965 when he was throwing 85mph and had the best rise I have ever seen. He could throw blindfolded from 2nd base and strike you out. His hand faces 3 at 9. I believe that getting the hand under the ball too much at 9 would cause difficulty in loading. After studying over 50 of the top men and women pitchers in the world I don't see getting under the ball that much as you say.

Clean those bifocals old-timer.

Hawkins_rise_zpsbajlfhvb.png

Jun 18, 2010
That's further down than 9 oclock or 3 oclock and that's probably a curve ball. The hand is more vertical at the 9/3 (righty to 3rd for pitches, such as riseball). And I have looked at multiple pictures (video is blurry or bad angle), often of the same pitcher, and the hand is at 3rd, not the sky. Many of the top PCs in the nation, say it is at 3rd (see RiBa video on this site) so let's stop this silly argument. To the sky is for spinning the ball. A 9 year old does not need to do it.

It's not a curveball, screwball. It's a rise. I was there.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
That's further down than 9 oclock or 3 oclock and that's probably a curve ball. The hand is more vertical at the 9/3 (righty to 3rd for pitches, such as riseball). And I have looked at multiple pictures (video is blurry or bad angle), often of the same pitcher, and the hand is at 3rd, not the sky. Many of the top PCs in the nation, say it is at 3rd (see RiBa video on this site) so let's stop this silly argument. To the sky is for spinning the ball. A 9 year old does not need to do it.

Is this photo clear enough?

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-04%20at%208.48.45%20AM_zpslcvoyzcn.png

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
You don't tug on supermans cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask on the ole Lone Ranger
And you don't challenege KnightSB to provide video evidence of Palm up at 9 o clock

This thread could go 40 pages in a matter of minutes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee