Baserunning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Teach them to recognize very quickly based on the hit and game situation if they will be running through first or making the turn. All too often this is taught as a decision that is made a few feet from first base. Have seen many a practice with players running sown the line straight at first then veering away at the last few feet to make the turn. Unfortunately that is not what happens under game conditions. If the ball it hit through the infield the runner needs to remain in foul territory away from the line so they can make an efficient turn. Otherwise the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I do three styles of base running drills to first. Straight away, banana or half circle , then question mark turn. Question mark turn if a bad throw or last sec decision to advanced to second. Banana if they know that a ball is hit deep or outfield gap. Straight away if they are beating out a play to first

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
As far as the technique goes, I drop a cone about 40' up the line, on the line, and then another about 50'-55' up the line and about 3' outside the line. 1st cone is the start of the bend out to the 2nd cone, which is the hard turn in to the inside corner of the bag. I'm guestimating the distances, they can/should be adjusted for your team/age group. The key is there is a point where they start to break right in order to get a much flatter angle to the left and the bag.

Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure where I stand on this, yet, but I've seen it taught at high levels and thought it was worth throwing out there...

Some teams, on a for sure base hit, will start their round immediately out of the box. On the swing and seeing the ball through (usually first step) they'll cut out to the 1B dugout (slightly!) and run a little wider down the line so they already have the angle to 2B.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I'm not sure where I stand on this, yet, but I've seen it taught at high levels and thought it was worth throwing out there...

Some teams, on a for sure base hit, will start their round immediately out of the box. On the swing and seeing the ball through (usually first step) they'll cut out to the 1B dugout (slightly!) and run a little wider down the line so they already have the angle to 2B.

I'm all for that! The question was broad, but you and riseball are correct: if the batter-runner sees that the hit is out of the infield, the round should be started earlier than what I proposed.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
My younger DD's team uses three first base coach calls.

1. "Get Here!" Which is a flat-out sprint through first.
2. "Round and Look!" Sharp turn at first with a hesitation to find the ball, ready to go either direction.
3. "Pick up three!" Wider turn at first and finding third base coach as they accelerate to second.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23