Baserunners occupying the same base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
NSA 8.1

e) Two baserunners may not occupy the same base simultaneously.
EFFECT: The runner who first legally occupied the base is entitled
to it. The other runner may be put out by being touched with the ball.

Same in all rule sets. And don't allow anyone to tell you two runners cannot occupy a base at the same time. They can, it is up to the defense to execute the put out

Jan 29, 2016
In the situation of your play, the lead runner (R1) was tagged out before returning to 3B, leaving the base open and available to be occupied by the trailing runner (R2)...assuming it wasn't a force play.

It was not a force. R2 was the batter trying to stretch the double into a triple when we threw to the plate.

As long as R1 is not being forced home, she still has the right to return to 3B. If R1 and R2 are both occupying 3B at the same time, R2 does not have rights to the base, and is liable to be tagged out if she does not safely return to 2B.

So if our fielder (catcher in this instance) tags R1 while both are occupying 3B she is safe because she still has a right to the base? Remember our catcher dove to tag her and R1 was diving back to the bag our fielder tried to get up and tag R2 in another diving tag attempt but R2 was starting to go back to second. Then catcher got to her knees and threw towards 2nd base. If we are able to tag R2 while both are occupying then R2 is out? I think I got it. Tag both if possible.

If R1 is being forced home, she does not have the right to return to 3B, and is out when tagged by a fielder or by a fielder stepping on home plate.

It sounds like the umpire got it right.

Yes he got it right because she did tag her before she got back to 3b. Just was wondering what the call would be if R1 barely reached the bag in time but was still tagged while R2 was occupying.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2016
Thank you MTR. I reread the damn rule book looking for this two times. This is one of those that I will remember the rule number forever now. 8.1.e :D

Thanks

Jan 29, 2016
NSA 8.1

e) Two baserunners may not occupy the same base simultaneously.
EFFECT: The runner who first legally occupied the base is entitled
to it. The other runner may be put out by being touched with the ball.

Same in all rule sets. And don't allow anyone to tell you two runners cannot occupy a base at the same time. They can, it is up to the defense to execute the put out

Poorly written rule like most of the other NSA rules. Says you "may not occupy" then says "the other runner may be put out". The first statement of the rule shouldn't be there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Poorly written rule like most of the other NSA rules. Says you "may not occupy" then says "the other runner may be put out". The first statement of the rule shouldn't be there.

Actually, the wording is pretty standard and IMO, straight forward. NFHS, USA, NCAA, WBSC are all similar.

IMO, there is absolutely nothing confusing with the wording and effect.

Jan 29, 2016
Actually, the wording is pretty standard and IMO, straight forward. NFHS, USA, NCAA, WBSC are all similar.

IMO, there is absolutely nothing confusing with the wording and effect.

I agree after coming back to this post with fresh eyes. THanks MTR.

Oct 4, 2020
Hi Everyone, I know this is an old thread but just have a follow up question, we play ASA and my question is, if bases are loaded and runner steals to 2nd base from 1st, runner on 2nd base stays on 2nd leaving 2 runners on base, pitcher receives ball but makes no attempt to make an out at 2nd and gets ready to pitch, since no attempt is made for the out, what would happen when pitcher pitches the ball?

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Hi Everyone, I know this is an old thread but just have a follow up question, we play ASA and my question is, if bases are loaded and runner steals to 2nd base from 1st, runner on 2nd base stays on 2nd leaving 2 runners on base, pitcher receives ball but makes no attempt to make an out at 2nd and gets ready to pitch, since no attempt is made for the out, what would happen when pitcher pitches the ball?
2 sets of parents and coaches go ballistic, news at 11? is that U of B Bulls?

Jun 22, 2008
USA as I recall has a different ruling than nfhs. The pitcher cannot deliver a pitch until runners are all on base, and as long as the runners have not violated the lookback rule the runner is not out for a lookback violation. There is nothing illegal about 2 runners being on a base, one of them just cannot legally occupy it and is liable to be put out. The defense must play on the incorrect runner, otherwise time is called and the incorrect runner returned to base.

It is also my recollection that nfhs considers it a lookback violation.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2018
USA as I recall has a different ruling than nfhs. The pitcher cannot deliver a pitch until runners are all on base, and as long as the runners have not violated the lookback rule the runner is not out for a lookback violation. There is nothing illegal about 2 runners being on a base, one of them just cannot legally occupy it and is liable to be put out. The defense must play on the incorrect runner, otherwise time is called and the incorrect runner returned to base.

It is also my recollection that nfhs considers it a lookback violation.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Not sure I have ever heard of calling time to return the incorrect runner to their base in USA rules. I couldn't find a rule other than 8.3.E and it is still the responsibility of the defense to get the runner out.

• Two runners may not occupy the same base at the same time.
Effect:

• The runner who first legally occupied the base is entitled to that base, unless forced to advance.
  • The other runner may be put out by being tagged with the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28