Basemen Positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Is there a good website that demonstrates proper positioning for infielders when receiving throws for both force plays and tag plays. I'm second guessing myself, mainly at third base on pick off throws from the catcher. We teach our girls as runners to run in foul territory from third to home and in fair territory if heading back to 3rd. With a right handed batter in the box our catcher prefers to throw behind the batter so our third baseman has been sliding over into foul territory so that the throw from the catcher isn't crossing the runner. This also puts the runner on the glove side of the third baseman making the tag easier. Does this make sense? Also trying to get the girls to recognize that the tag position doesn't have the fielder standing on the base. This is for a 12u league team.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A little might not have caught it all. Like your runners being in foul territory coming home and retreat in fair.

My 3rd better not be touching the base when she receives the throw, without any video you should be able to knock that out of thier head.

More concerned about C Moving behind batter to throw the ball behind right handed batters. That is going to cost too much time.

I know DD At 3rd is a risky prospect for opposing Team. If they throw it to 3rd she is scoring.

Begs the question... how often does your C throw to 3rd?

Apr 30, 2018
C throwing to 3rd, is situational. If the runner gets a huge lead and is fast, then it is usually a pump fake and C starting a hard charge up the line (our catcher is fast). If it is an average runner getting greedy, then yes we throw it. Picked off a couple this fall. Then again, this is league so the runners aren't always making the best decisions or expecting our catcher to have an arm.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2015
I would not recommend having your 3B cross the runner's path to receive the throw. Depending on the situation, the 3B is taking the throw a few feet up the line, or occasionally, the 3B is way up (bunt attempt) and the SS is sneaking in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28