Baseball vs. Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
RADcatcher, the point I was making is that if the strike zone for the hitter is reasonably the same and the plate exactly the same, training the catcher can be exactly the same. I've coach several D-I and D-II baseball and softball catchers. I started by using the stuff I learned from Coach Morgan from U. of Indiana back in the day and then progressed to Catching Coach's stuff. He is no longer with us but I think members here have some of his DVDs. His son has continued the work with the New England Catcher's Clinics.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RADcatcher, the point I was making is that if the strike zone for the hitter is reasonably the same and the plate exactly the same, training the catcher can be exactly the same. I've coach several D-I and D-II baseball and softball catchers. I started by using the stuff I learned from Coach Morgan from U. of Indiana back in the day and then progressed to Catching Coach's stuff. He is no longer with us but I think members here have some of his DVDs. His son has continued the work with the New England Catcher's Clinics.
Your point is a valid one.
ADD....
Training/mechanics can be different for either sport.
What we want to achieve is the best results.
So lets think about what we can do and why.
This is why posted about the points....
*Different mechanics and
*How a catcher receives
the pitch can either
HELP or hurt the results of the pitch.
Then shared the differences
of spin and path of pitch.
To make a point of which mechanics perhaps may be a better choice or not.

Thats just a simple explanation of the reason for my post.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
As a long-time baseball player/coach in college and HS and now coaching for a while in softball, I have always wondered why the big difference in how catchers receive the ball on a pitch. Baseball catchers are taught to "absorb" the ball and be close to the body as they catch the pitch to keep the ball centered; compared to softball where catchers seem to be taught to "reach" and stick out their arm extended to "frame" the pitch. Baseball catchers are usually taught to square up and set their body up behind the pitch location. Whereas softball catchers are taught to lean left or right more to the inside or outside pitch. I've talked to many college and HS coaches for both sports and nobody has really specifically defined WHY the difference is. I understand the pitch plane and "line" of the pitch is different based on the release point of the pitcher, but it still is the same plate and essentially the same zone. So, not sure why the huge difference. I coach my daughters and catchers as sort of hybrid style. I don't like the "lean" and reach because I think when the glove is way outside the body core it appears more that the pitch has missed and is wide.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As a long-time baseball player/coach in college and HS and now coaching for a while in softball, I have always wondered why the big difference in how catchers receive the ball on a pitch. Baseball catchers are taught to "absorb" the ball and be close to the body as they catch the pitch to keep the ball centered; compared to softball where catchers seem to be taught to "reach" and stick out their arm extended to "frame" the pitch. Baseball catchers are usually taught to square up and set their body up behind the pitch location. Whereas softball catchers are taught to lean left or right more to the inside or outside pitch. I've talked to many college and HS coaches for both sports and nobody has really specifically defined WHY the difference is. I understand the pitch plane and "line" of the pitch is different based on the release point of the pitcher, but it still is the same plate and essentially the same zone. So, not sure why the huge difference. I coach my daughters and catchers as sort of hybrid style. I don't like the "lean" and reach because I think when the glove is way outside the body core it appears more that the pitch has missed and is wide.

Good read Quigs10,
Not everyone teaches or does lean in softball. Yucky dont care for it.
*Like and teach square to the plate. Set up belly button in/out edge of plate.
*Yes softball receive/frame out front to
CUT PITCH OFF CLOSEST TO IN THE STRIKEZONE
because the spin is traveling out and away of strikezone.
( Pitch starts in the strike zone and moves out of strikezone at the plate)

Good discussion points about the different mechanics that can be used.

Different pitch trajectory,
spins and such.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Thank you for the framing shout-out @Gags! ;)

I caught baseball for about 10 years and never was I taught to keep my glove close to my chest. I was always arm extended to give myself “room to work” and to stick that ball as close to the zone as possible to “help the ump”. Extra travel time = extra time for the umpire to over-think. The target is the zone (not my glove) and I wanted the umpire to see it hit that target.

My guess (and it is just that) is that people who teach that are the same ones saying “Give him a big target, Johnny!” or claiming it shouldn’t be a strike because of how it was caught.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The human element is part of both games. Some teach/do this, others teach/do that.
Umpires some say/call this, others say/call that.

In either sport mechanics are something we can make a decision about.

But....
Umpires you get what you get.
Seems eventho a strikezone should be a standard thing....
it really is not!

Add, we can get to know what an umpire is more prone to liking or disliking.
That becomes part of pitch calling and location.
Perhaps affect strategy.

Hmmmm,....
Fluctuating umpires.....
That maybe the biggest similarity of the two sports. ;)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thank you for the framing shout-out @Gags! ;)

I caught baseball for about 10 years and never was I taught to keep my glove close to my chest. I was always arm extended to give myself “room to work” and to stick that ball as close to the zone as possible to “help the ump”. Extra travel time = extra time for the umpire to over-think. The target is the zone (not my glove) and I wanted the umpire to see it hit that target.

My guess (and it is just that) is that people who teach that are the same ones saying “Give him a big target, Johnny!” or claiming it shouldn’t be a strike because of how it was caught.
And you caught a certain way for a reason!

Dec 11, 2010
@RADcatcher

You made a point earlier in this thread that in baseball the pitch starts outside of the zone and travels TO the zone and in fastpitch the ball starts in the zone and moves OUT of the zone.

That observation really struck me as an important distinction to understand.

Jul 14, 2018
DD attended a Catching Camp with Jay Weaver before she moved over to pitching full-time. From what I remember, the part about catching close to the body had to do with throwing hand position with runners on base. They taught to keep your throwing hand low behind the shin with the bases empty, but there was a different posture with runners on.

They advised to keep the throwing hand around the chest, but just behind the glove to prevent getting hit with a foul ball, hence the move to bring the glove a little closer to the body. This was the optimum position for throwing out runners.

I remember sharing this with DD's regular catching coach at the time, who thought it was a bad idea for the reason RADcatcher pointed out: the receiving hand should be extended to stop the ball before it left the strike zone. DD didn't like her hand exposed, so she always kept it behind her leg, even with runners on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802