Baseball to Softball Transition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Thanks for the responses. She is currently on the small diamond (45/60) which is what I believe softball is played on. I would expect the speed of the game to slow down once once she makes the transition to SB. I agree that 13/14 baseball can be pretty ugly on the 60/90 but I have to believe that 12U tournament ball on the 45/60 has to be played much faster in BB than SB? The 65-75 mph pitching on a 45 mound gets there pretty fast and goes back out the other way even faster.

Mark H, you point out two of my 3 biggest fears. First that someone will try to change her rotational swing and second that she will be bored. I really have to find her a competetive team to play with. The rec, MS & HS softball I've seen be played in our area is painful to watch.

Big difference between 45' and 40'. 40' is travel ball pitching distance in our area (ASA/USSSA)(12U) Plus, most pitchers release the ball around 35' (my daughter does) so that drops the batters reaction time even more.

Don't be fooled, fastpitch is a much faster game. Yes, in time limit, but I'm talking about reaction times for the fielders. Composite bat technology is crazy. Girls are alot stronger these days, as well.

There are 12U teams out there that play 100+ games a season, some even more than that. There are also 12U teams that can wipe the floor with alot of high school teams. Just find a good team, and I guarantee she won't be bored.

May 12, 2008
This is true. Girl that played for me in select baseball as a 12 turned her nose up at softball since in her small town rec softball was pretty weak. I kept telling the parents the college money for her was in softball. She played BB with the boys all the way through her 15th year. THEN mom called me and said where do I find these good softball teams. Played on two gold teams and then went off to college and to evenually start in the WCWS as a senior. Having said all that, I promise you, when she moved to high level travel ball, she was NOT bored. People from baseball underestimate the difficulty of hitting fifty something against a good pitcher as a 12 or 13 from a 40' rubber when they have been facing sixty something or better from 46' or 50'. The also underestimate the pressure an accomplished versatile short gamer can put on an infield defense. If she finds the right situation, she will find the challenge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812