Barry Bonds vs. Finch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I don't miss too much but I had never seen this one. Must have slipped thru the cracks but really enjoyed the clip. Thought I would share as sometimes we need a feel good vid to take the mind away from things. Enjoy!

Aug 21, 2008
Probably the most personable video of Bonds I've ever seen. He actually seems like a nice guy, a fun guy. Of course EVERYONE else who knows him says he's the complete opposite in real life, off camera.

These kinds of videos are fun to see and people hang their beliefs that (insert pitcher's name) would strike out everyone in MLB. And they might actually do that, for a couple of days. But if a guy like Bonds, Pujols, Trout, or any of the MLB stars took a couple days of BP, got used to the pitching distance, learned the adjustments needed to hit softball pitches, the results would be drastically different. Guys who make the majors are soooooooo good with hand-eye coordination and learning adjustments.

Comparing softball to baseball is a lot like comparing Rugby to the NFL. The concept of the game is the same but there are differences that don't always translate immediately. What makes a player great in one of those sports doesn't necessarily make them great in the other.

Several years ago, former MLB all star Dante Bichette played in a men's fastpitch tournament in Orlando. The one game I saw him play, he wiffed on 3 pitches in both at bats, however he was facing one of the world's top pitchers at the time. After the game he said he'd hit HR's off Clemons, off Randy Johnson, etc. but he's never seen ANYTHING like what he saw in that game. Of course, he was 42 years old at his point, I don't think he was going to start over in the fastpitch world. lol.

Bill

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Probably the most personable video of Bonds I've ever seen. He actually seems like a nice guy, a fun guy. Of course EVERYONE else who knows him says he's the complete opposite in real life, off camera.

These kinds of videos are fun to see and people hang their beliefs that (insert pitcher's name) would strike out everyone in MLB. And they might actually do that, for a couple of days. But if a guy like Bonds, Pujols, Trout, or any of the MLB stars took a couple days of BP, got used to the pitching distance, learned the adjustments needed to hit softball pitches, the results would be drastically different. Guys who make the majors are soooooooo good with hand-eye coordination and learning adjustments.

Comparing softball to baseball is a lot like comparing Rugby to the NFL. The concept of the game is the same but there are differences that don't always translate immediately. What makes a player great in one of those sports doesn't necessarily make them great in the other.

Several years ago, former MLB all star Dante Bichette played in a men's fastpitch tournament in Orlando. The one game I saw him play, he wiffed on 3 pitches in both at bats, however he was facing one of the world's top pitchers at the time. After the game he said he'd hit HR's off Clemons, off Randy Johnson, etc. but he's never seen ANYTHING like what he saw in that game. Of course, he was 42 years old at his point, I don't think he was going to start over in the fastpitch world. lol.

Bill

Not only would the results be different, it would be terrifying to anyone pitching to top pro hitter from only 40-something feet away. It's all fun and games until Pujols hits one back up the middle at you. I'd extend that "couple of days" to virtually any level of pro or college player, and even many HS players. The overall level of play in women's softball has improved so much that those of us who are focused on the sport because of our DDs sometimes have blinders on when comparing the better female ball players to their male counterparts in baseball. The girls are good and fun to watch, but they don't have the speed and strength of the guys at the same age and playing level, and the guys are just as focused on their craft. I never played men's FP, but I have friends who have. Those guys play that game at a whole different level in terms of speed, and I'd wager that virtually all of them grew up playing baseball.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Softball pitchers striking out baseball players is a parlor trick. My DD did it several times in college. The college baseball team would start harassing her (in a friendly way, of course) and someone would challenge her.

Baseball players are taught to look at a release point about 6 feet above the softball release point. Also, the flight path of a baseball and a softball are different. Baseball players need several pitches to adjust to the differences.

Add in the whole "boy vs. girl" element, throw in a bunch of his baseball buddies standing around harassing him, and it is pretty easy. Strike them out quickly, take their money and then look at your watch and say, "Oh, look at the time...I gotta go..."

I'm sure someone as talented as @Hillhouse in his prime could have struck out many MLB players. But, the top MLB hitters are really, really good.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^^ This, let a baseball player come take BP every day for a week, then let them play a few games and they would adjust to women's fast pitch not saying they are hitting Stofflet or Folkard with any consistency but your average D-1 pitcher sure.

That's not to say the women couldn't hit a baseball again just a matter of practice and changing perspective. A lot of girls play baseball until they hit HS and make the transition they do just fine.

May 22, 2014
Indiana
Agree that this is the most personable you will ever see Bonds. And I like that he tells her at the end that she probably could strike him out. But I've always thought the whole "top hand check swing" was him just protecting his reputation. It's a lot easier to just tap those pitches with a bat like that than it is to make contact with a full swing (like in the Finch/Pujols video). I believe if he really thought he could take her yard, or at least not swing and miss like Albert, then he would've been swinging away.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2