barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
For those that care - I am giving it the old college try with Tom's help. Personally I think it's a mix of patterns. Rear leg is still what it feels like but from a more balanced position. Plus my hands are already trained so to speak. But, I am trying to use my lead side obliques more than I have in the past. Releasing into the legs does not resonate with me. I like thinking abt dropping into my butt or sitting into a chair.

9JkEUp.gif

Apr 11, 2015
Am I the only one on this site who haven't seen Butter's swing and all of the successful students he has? Not to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong, but this is a public forum and I find it very odd that one poster is calling the other out whilst not providing any proof of their own results
But yet you did anyway....go figure. Smh...

For what it's worth, I've seen plenty of clips of Butter's hitters before and after, and there are excellent improvements in all of them over the given timeframes they were working in.

I also have a 7-page PM string from 5+ years ago with myself, and the two of them back then when they were attached at the hip (no pun intended...OK, maybe a little...lol). I won't share what either of them wrote, but here's a taste of where I was back then, and talking about the things that are the big talk of the town now...
It's just focus Ray, what do I have my hitters focus on vs what do you have yours focus on, in order to get to the "PoP" correctly and on time.

At the "PoP" I see all the good MLB hitters get there with a greater amount of their weight "back" along their rear hip/leg, while maintaining a good dynamic balance, so I simply show my hitters that, and have them duplicate that by finding that "balance", and then carrying it forward into the "PoP".

The only reason I use "rear leg", is because when I tried any other kind of cue, they had a tendency to "balance" along that's cue's centerline, and I didn't get the weight distribution or flow that I wanted or saw in those MLB swings.

Focusing on the core is fine, as long as you're able to get them to the "PoP" with the same weight distribution as the pros. When I talked about the "middle" (or core), I got just that, a equally balanced, 50/50 weight distribution along the "core/middle" at the "PoP", and that was not what I was seeing in the big boys, so went about finding some other way to get them there...with as little instruction, and words as possible. Cueing them in on focusing on the rear hip (which is attached to the rear leg) worked, so I stuck with it...that's all.
Note, that "PoP" stands for "Position of Power" that I got from Dave Hudgens when I spent several days with him back around 2003, and its simply another name for "FYB", "Leveraged position"...."Connection Point" (Slaught), "Power-V" (Mankin), "Explosion Point" (Emanski), "Swearing In Position" (HI), "Truth Position" (Tewks), "Torque Position" (Epstein)....or whatever else you want to call it.

The whole conversation started with me trying to figure out wth "Cat/Cow/Cat" was all about that TDS had started but couldn't explain, and Butter was one of the (the only?) guys to jump all in with it for a while. Until he too realized that it was just more gibberish nonsense...that TDS eventually realized himself a couple years later, abandoned it, and then "found" the "leverage position" as all one needs to learn to have an MLB, and has been running down that long twisted path ever since.

It is kind of fun really to see all of the different connotations guys have come up with or move on to over the years when they can't explain something, and rather than work harder to clarify it....they just bail, pretend it never happened, and hope that additional pages of posts will bury their "Oopsies", and make everyone forget they couldn't/can't explain wth they're talking about...here, and possibly/probably to students, and why they're asked to simply show proof that they have...at least just once....pretty please?👌

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
For those that care - I am giving it the old college try with Tom's help. Personally I think it's a mix of patterns. Rear leg is still what it feels like but from a more balanced position. Plus my hands are already trained so to speak. But, I am trying to use my lead side obliques more than I have in the past. Releasing into the legs does not resonate with me. I like thinking abt dropping into my butt or sitting into a chair.

9JkEUp.gif
Where did you get the tee that keeps putting a ball up there?

Apr 11, 2015
I personally believe If the hips don’t load correctly(s-plane) , barrel path will need to be manipulated to get the desire met. Thoughts?
My first thought is that I have no idea what you're talking about...the hips load in only one plane? That sounds like simply twisting them over a stationary pivot point, and therefore you'd have no lateral movement, and from our previous discussions, I never got the feeling that's what you meant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee