barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
After that fascia post I thought you might actually start basing your argument on scientific fact. Lol

Miggy is internally rotating his left leg to turn his pelvis. He's not compressing his core. The hip internal rotators are contracting.

Go see the video in post 765 and specifically look at the part at 22:00 minutes about satellites. Then maybe you'll understand that it's not possible for the core to turn the pelvis. If the core is not anchored the movement is open chain and all that happens is the shoulders move closer to the pelvis, left to right, right to left. No turn.

BTW Fascia doesn't move musculature unless you mean that when the legs move the rest of the body follows because it's all encased in fascia/skin. The muscles are attached to bones with tendons. Break that connection and the bone won't move. Fascia or no fascia.

the back leg is the anchor. Why have you been reading on this forum lately that keeping the back heel anchored Is optimal. Very popular opinion yes?

to move 2 muscles together Fascia connects the two to create stretch and contraction. Muscles are the Fascial systems ‘Pedro’.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Not deceleration. Change of direction and torque. Bat or bullwhip. Conservation of angular momentum causes the small end to speed up because the turn radius gets smaller. Bats don't respond exactly the way bull whips do because bats get larger on the end, not smaller, and they're (mostly) rigid and not capable of creating the advancing turn/wave.
Try to crack a bull whip by stopping your hand against a stop. It won't work.
Here's a great video about the science of turning objects.
BTW for Ww....There's a great section that demonstrates why the obliques aren't capable of turning the pelvis at 22:10

Thanks, still doesn't help me understand why there is an increase in acceleration as the barrel is released to the ball. aka whip. If there was more of the circular motion you speak of the speed of the barrel head would be the same, or at least the rate of acceleration the same thru the swing, but the Ortiz data did not show that.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I think you are close to realizing that the core does not turn the hips.

If you realize that(for a right randed batter) the right leg pushes(by pulling on bones) the right side of the pelvis forward and the front leg stops and pushes(by pulling on bones) the left side of the pelvis rearward you will see how rotation happens. Hip rotation is from legs.

And in the swing this hip roation happens so obliques can pull against.

Hip rotation happens to keep obliques stretched so they can keep pulling.

Muscles only pull.

To argue otherwise is wrong.
Are you saying that the rear leg actually pushes against the ground? If so how does the rear foot get weightless and off the ground in most swings?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My interpretation - Pujols is "ignoring" torquing the handle...
If by 'torquing the handle' you mean TTB..........then I believe your 'interpretation' would be incorrect.
What is being 'ignored' is what the hitter isn't doing on the left, that Pujols is doing on the right...TTB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101